Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Pro Runtime Error effects System Apps

• Please log in to reply

phaelos

phaelos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I try to start any of the programs listed below I get a MS Visual C++ Runtime error, which points to:

"Program: c:/windows/explorer.exe"

The following programs do NOT work:

Internet Explorer
My Computer
Control Panel (Can't access Add/Remove Programs)
Recycle Bin

Outlook Express DOES work.

Windows Explorer DOES work for general file maintenance, search, and system navigation, but there are also tasks I can't (or haven't figured out how to) perform with that.

Microsoft Word DOES work... some of my other apps, such as Photoshop, and Vegas Video, my video editor, failed to completely load. (This may have to do with not being able to fully restore the aborted WinXP SP2 upgrade.)

I use Opera as my browser. The two programs have co-existed with no problems for over 1 year.

I have attempted to install WinXP SP2 from CD (hoping to correct the problem by overwriting), but my system locks up when the upgrade gets to the "Creating Backup Image" stage.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Adam...

Edited by phaelos, 05 October 2005 - 08:22 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
hi phaelos! Welcome to G2G!

Let's have you try the System File Checker (SFC). To do this, go to START-->RUN and type in:
sfc /scannow <---Note the space between sfc and /scannow.

You will need you XP cd to do this. Once the blue bar goes away, reboot your computer anse see how things are.

If that doesn't work, then I suggest you try a Repair Installation of Windows XP. Don't worry, all of your programs will still work and you won't lose any of your settings or files, this will just replace the operating system files (C:\WINDOWS).

Post back how things are going.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 05 October 2005 - 08:54 AM.

phaelos

phaelos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Fenor,

Thank you for responding.

I struck out both times. I ran the sfc / scannow and rebooted, but there was no change in system behavior.

I actually reinstalled Windows XP Pro (over the past hour), but the Runtime Error still displays when I try to start Internet Explorer. In addition, two of my other non-Microsoft programs do not load properly.

To compound things, I'm experiencing a "Delayed write..." error on one of my (data) hard disk drives. All of the folders and files are visible, but the system is VERY SLOW in accessing them. I opened MS Word (which functioned normally), and save a file to the "delayed" drive (D:). It took quite some time before completing the save.

-----
UPDATE -- I updated the drivers for my Promise Ultra controller card, and the Delayed Write error didn't return, AND my video editing program now loads, and the files that are on the D: drive are now available. Updating Windows meant installing an outdated driver.
-----

Adam...

Edited by phaelos, 05 October 2005 - 02:11 PM.