Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Excel help

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I'd like to accomplish the following in an Excel file:

I want to look at the data in column A. I want to then sum all the data in column D of those rows that meet a certain condition in Column A. Specifically, any column A that has a value of "MD" in it, I want to sum the column D of those rows. Right now I have only 5 rows of data, beginning in row 7 and ending in row 11. But there could be more or less rows in the future.

I tried this formula:

=SUM(IF(A7="MD",D7,0):IF(A11="MD",D11,0))

When I use a comma instead of a colon (to test only 2 conditions instead of a range of conditions), it works just fine. When I use the colon, however, it doesn't work properly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

dsm

dsm

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Try this

=SUMIF(A7:A11,"MD",D7:D11)

hope it helps
David

diggeryo

diggeryo