Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot to 2000

• Please log in to reply

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey, My computer is the one that Logan11 deleted the C partion from. How do I (or he) get it back to where it boots to 2000 instead of 98 or back to the screen that lets you choose which system you want to use?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Gibbs1...

Was logan11 able to reinstall the Win98 on the C partition?

Take a look at this Microsft Procedure.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 05 October 2005 - 12:17 PM.

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks. Im not sure at the moment so I'll have to check but I'd also like to hook the computer up to the internet until I get it back to 2000. We have RR. I went into the conections tab under internet options and clicked setup but I couldn't figure out what to do. I tried to hook it up thru a LAN because I didnt think RR was dial up. How do you hook it up?(a relatively simple method preferably since I'll have to do this myself.)Thank you sooo much for all your help so far!!!!

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yes I think he was able to reinstall 98 back on the C partition. When the computer boots it now boots directly to 98. I dont know if that means its on the C partition or not. We dont have the 2000 disks. Our computer crashed and the man who fixed it installed Windows 2000 pro on it for us. Is there a way to get into it with out the disks or a way to access it to make a disk from the system already on the computer? Or when I get the internet running on there can I get a boot disk (or the disk I'll need) from the internet?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Gibbs1...

Let's see if we can get you on the internet while we figure put how to work around not having the Win2000 disk. You may be a prime candidate for an upgrade to XP which would be a big step foreward for you.

If you connect to the internet through a LAN, the cable at the back of the machine will look like a phone cord only larger. Most modems (Dialup) have 2 connectors, 1 in and 1 out while a network card usually has one input connector. Using this new knowledge, look at the back of the machine and let me know if you connect through dialup or LAN.

wannabe1

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Its a LAN. We have Time Warner Road Runner. It connects thru a Cat 5 line in the back of our computer.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey Gibbs,

Do you connect directly to the road runner modem or do you go through a router?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Either way, go to START-->RUN type in winipcfg. In the window that appears, click the RELEASE button and then the RENEW button. The data that now appears in the Adapter Address, IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway should look something similar to the numbers in the attached file.

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• winipcfg.JPG

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The IP address will look like 192.168.1.100, and the Default Gateway will be like 192.168.1.1 if you connect through a router.

Fenor

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Gibbs1...

Try this first..."Start" to "Settings" to "Control Panel" to "Internet Options". Under the Connections tab, click on the "LAN Settings button" then tick the box next to "Automatically detect settings" and click "Ok"..."Apply" the settings and click "Ok" to exit.

With the network cable connected, restart the machine and see if you get online. If not, we'll set up a network connection.

wannabe1

Fenor...the mad keyboardest...got three posts in on me while I worked on one! :tazz:

Edited by wannabe1, 06 October 2005 - 07:00 PM.

Advertisements

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok heres what I did.
Control panel, internet options, connections, setup, connect thru lan, connect thru lan(again), automatic discorvery of proxy server, no to setup internet mail account now, finish and connect. It didnt work. The internet cable is plugged in and the little green light is on saying its in.
What do I try now?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do what I typed in before. It was taken directly from the RR Help Page.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 06 October 2005 - 07:08 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Fenor...the mad keyboardest...got three posts in on me while I worked on one!  :tazz:

View Post

I can't help it, the one class in high school that actually helps me lol :)

Fenor

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
btw guys, im really sorry it takes so long for me to reply. its this laptop. a virus has been hard at work on it for a few years or so now so its pretty screwed up. :/

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Don't be sorry at least you reply. I've had people that don't reply to a post for days. :tazz:

Fenor