Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot to 2000

• Please log in to reply

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Fenor, it wont let me click release. the only options not greyed out are OK release all, renew all or more info>>. Should I go ahead with release all?
The info in the window says PPP Adapter Adapter Address 44-45-53-54-00-00 IP Address 0.0.0.0 Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0 Default Gateway {Blank}
And all I know about what its hooked up thru is that we have one of those black boxes hooked up to a wireless thing which I assume is what is hooked up to the computer.

Advertisements

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Fenor, it wont let me click release. the only options not greyed out are OK release all, renew all or more info>>. Should I go ahead with release all?
The info in the window says PPP Adapter Adapter Address 44-45-53-54-00-00 IP Address 0.0.0.0 Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0 Default Gateway {Blank}
And all I know about what its hooked up thru is that we have one of those black boxes hooked up to a wireless thing which I assume is what is hooked up to the computer.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What is listed in the DEVICE MANAGER for NETWORK ADAPTORS? (Right click MY COMPUTER, click PROPERTIES, click on the HARDWARE tab, click DEVICE MANAGER button)

Fenor

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Or right click My Computer and choose Properties...then click the Device Manager tab... :tazz:

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Dial up adapter, Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C/8130) PCI Fast Ethernet NIC and Sony i.Link(1394) Adapter.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->RUN and type in: ipconfig /release Then type in: ipconfig /renew. Tell me what it says if any error messages are given. Don't post your IP ADDRESS in here if it doesn't start with 192.168, because you don't want everyone knowing your home IP address.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Or right click My Computer and choose Properties...then click the Device Manager tab... :tazz:

View Post

My bad, forgot this was 98 lol. I'm so used to 2000 and XP machines at work. :)

Fenor

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, I did what you told me to and the black command prompt screens popped up both times but only for a split second each time. What next?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sorry about that, but I forget a MINOR step. Below is the modified information from my last post:

Go to START-->RUN and type in 'command' In the next window that appears type in: ipconfig /release Then type in: ipconfig /renew. Tell me what it says if any error messages are given. Don't post your IP ADDRESS in here if it doesn't start with 192.168, because you don't want everyone knowing your home IP address.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 06 October 2005 - 07:42 PM.

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, heres what it said
ipconfig /release /All-display detailed informatin /batch[file]-write to file or./winipcg.out {/br} /renew_all -Renew all adapters. {/br} /release_all -Release all adapters. {/br} /renew N-Renew adapter N. {/br} /release N -Release adapter N.
ipconfig /renew /All-Display detailed information {/br} Batch[file]-Write to file or .winipcfg.out {/br} /renew_all- Renew all adapters {/br} /release_all-Release all adapters. {/br}/renew N- Renew adapter N {/br} /release N-Release adapter N.

*{/br} is supposed to stand for line break
I will be so glad when I dont have to use this thing anymore :tazz:

Edited by Gibbs1, 06 October 2005 - 07:53 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
do ipconfig /release_all and then ipconfig /renew_all

Post what it says again.

Fenor

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ipconfig /release_all 0 Ehternet adapter : IP Address.......:0.0.0.0 (is that my real IP address? if it is ill just use x's next time)
Subnet Mask...........:0.0.0.0
Default gateway.......:{blank}
ipconfig /renew_all 0 Ehternet adapter :
IP address...:0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask..:0.0.0.0
Default gateway....:{blank}

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, do you connect directly to the Road Runner modem or is there a router?

Fenor

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
We have a wireless router thing for the wireless card for this laptop and I think the road runner box is plugged into the wireless router.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you rebooted your computer since you plugged the ethernet cable into your computer? Of course making sure it's connected to the router as well. If you haven't, then reboot it.

Fenor