Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Tmp files won't delete...

• Please log in to reply

loubee

loubee

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

New here, so hope I'm doing this right!!

I can't delete quite a few temp files from the system 32/temp folder. These files are hidden files and when I try to delete them, I am told they are in use.

I can't find out what these files are connected to. Any help would be appreciated!
Here are a few of them, as appear in the temp folder:

CSEEECCAD9-B7F0-41DB-873A-0BE5179DE8D1.tmp

CSF42471D8-5619-4B70-B02D-08982BA320AB.tmp

CS899B2E1E-2E89-49D5-9DFE-2E969092A3AB.tmp

CS91D3688D-21A0-4E33-9E18-0136FC61249B.tmp

I am running XP, I have just formatted and loaded progs onto a new hard drive. I have run full anti-v and spyware scans and nothing has shown up. I know the basics to do with computing, but this has stumped me....

Thanx!!

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Try downloading Easy Cleaner from here: http://www.majorgeek...ownload414.html

It will do an excellent job of cleaning unused / unnecessary files from your system.

Advise to use ONLY REGISTRY and UNNECESSARY. Do not delete any DUPLICATE FILES as some ao these are needed.

loubee

loubee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Thanx for replying.

I have downloaded that prog and have tried a few others, but still no luck.

Any more ideas?

Do any programmes leave files in the temp folder that is constantly being used?

I have come accross this before on a friends computer, I am wondering if it is to do with a certain prog we both had installed. Not got as far as checking which one it could be as we both have alot the same.

Thanx again!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you may want to try this to be sure you're clean: go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
One other thing you could try - boot up in safe mode ( constantly tap f8 ) and try deleting them from there.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you are sure that these files should be deleted, and you cannot sleep at night because they are still there, you can try deleting them in safe mode or use MoveOnBoot to get them before Windows starts.
http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

This is from my notes in case anyone needs this during a search:

How to Delete
1.) Try it in Safe Mode first.

2.) Next, see if you can rename the file so that you change the extension to something that will release it from whatever has it locked; use .txt for example. Then try manipulating it afterward. If it works, then you can change the name back if you just wanted it moved.

3.) If no joy, get MoveOnBoot . Install it. It's a small freeware program that has the power to Delete, Copy, or Rename a file or group of files when you reboot and it's inactive. There are several ways to use it, here are some examples:
Run it to do the copy first to the folder of your choice and then run it again to do a delete if you wish. OR run it and rename the file and you may be able to manipulate it as you please with drag/drop etc. Then you can rename it with the right click and you'll be set. Try different methods as you prefer depending on your goal. It works on Folders as well as files but only by using the drag/drop into the main program screen.

4.) If still no joy, try taking ownership of the file. To do that follow the instructions given here:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp
5.) If still no joy, create a new administrator account and log off your present account and log into it. Then try moving the file onto the desktop of this new account. Then log off and go back to your original account. That may get the file to an inactive state so you can manipulate it from the new location while logged to the old identity. If you just want to delete it, then delete the old account and all files that it contains.

6.) If still no joy, run Task Manager and do an "End Process" on explorer.exe. The Desktop shell will disappear. This usually releases most problem files from whatever has a grasp on them. You'll have to use the toolbar menu of Task Manager to do your work and when you're finished, you can use the File > New Task(run) to start explorer.exe back up again and get the Desktop shell running again. If you run into difficulty getting explorer.exe back up, just click Shutdown > Restart and you'll get it all back.

Note:

On Windows NT/2000/XP:
Open Windows Task Manager. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and click the Processes tab.
In the list of running programs, select EXPLORER.EXE.
Right-click EXPLORER.EXE and click End Process Tree.

HTH
Johanna

Edited by Johanna, 05 October 2005 - 03:10 PM.

loubee

loubee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanx for everyone replying!!

I found out what it was...

I had a programme called Webroot spysweeper, apparently the new version puts alot of temp files onto computer.

Glad I now know what it was or I would have lost sleep! Was driving me mad.... It is times like these I tell myself I really need to get out more!

Thanx again!

Edited by loubee, 06 October 2005 - 03:12 PM.