Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bandwidth partitioning

• Please log in to reply

morfius

morfius

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi

I was just wondering if it is possible to 'partition' bandwidth on a home network.
There are 3 computers in my household all connected to a wireless network and I am the only one who uses the internet for gaming. Sometimes when I am playing bf:vietnam and my brother on his computer starts downloading stuff my ping shoots from around 100 to 700 and the game becomes unplayable. Is it possible to partition 1mb of broadband bandwidth on my network so that my brother has about 300k, the other computer has 200k and I have 500k?

Any replies/suggestions are well appreciated

Cheers

Morfius :tazz:

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey Morfius,
In the set-up you are describing, I am not aware of any way to limit bandwidth. 1)Wireless is a broadcast technology. You cannot control the flow of the radio waves!

2) If your service is on xDSL or Cable, these connection methods are also not very configurable. (as opposed with a T1 connection, where you can split channels)

It may be possible to configure a "middle-man" type box to control communication flow - you would need to use a linux type box to do this - google bandwidth partitioning linux..or broadband partitioning....

morfius

morfius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
ok thx

I will have to put up with my brothers game playing

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You need to get a router that lets you limit traffic, I'm on one right now but not using that feature. Have you gone into your router's configuration page to see if it is able to do that?