Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

unable to complete xp pro installation

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi everybody.

Few hours ago I posted a thread concerning data recovery. I thought latter that part of the problem justified a new thread.

I mentioned that all the difficulties started with serious corruption of XP pro. To overcome this problem I started repair installation but came to the point at which files for installation were downloaded and the computer rebooted. Instead of continuing with the nstallation the computer went into an endless loop of restarts, loading up the start windows screen and then restarting itself.

As a last resort I installed a seond XP on the same partition which works perfectly. Disk scanning didn't show any problem. The computer is clean of malware.

Does anyone has any advice about how to complete the first installation?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well, as you stand now (if i follow correctly) you have 2 instances of xp on the system right? i would start over from scratch, format the drive and install a new instance. it would probably be easier than cleaning out the non working one

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thats were the problem is. I would have formatted the disk a long time ago if not for important data that I have to recover but unable to do so. I think that if I could finish the repair installation of the first xp I could recover and backup the data and then happily reformat.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well, the options posted in the other thread that you have open on this issue all seem sound for the data recovery (putting the two threads together in my brain now lets me understand why you installed the second version of xp)

edit: especially Kat's suggestion of taking ownership of the files, this would allow you to burn them to cd or transfer them to an external drive

Edited by dsenette, 05 October 2005 - 01:25 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks to all of you. I followed Johanna's instructions in my other thread and managed to recover my data.

I really appreciate your goodwill and knowledge.

Thanks / Ami Yogev