Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATHGINA.DLL

• Please log in to reply

Big B

Big B

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i went to user accounts and went to change the way user log on or off.....and i get this message that says...."A recently installed program has disabled the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching. To restore these features, you must unistall the program. The following file name might help you find the identify the program that made the changes: ATHGINA.DLL................i really hate the classic view...SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Back up the registry then do this

Remove the use of the Atheros GINA during login by deleting the following key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GinaDLL

It should exist with the value "athgina.dll". When deleted, XP will revert to its default login behavior.

Big B

Big B

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
what do me mean by registry?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Microsoft Computer Dictionary, Fifth Edition, defines the registry as:
A central hierarchical database used in Microsoft Windows 9x, Windows CE, Windows NT, and Windows 2000 used to store information necessary to configure the system for one or more users, applications and hardware devices.

The Registry contains information that Windows continually references during operation, such as profiles for each user, the applications installed on the computer and the types of documents that each can create, property sheet settings for folders and application icons, what hardware exists on the system, and the ports that are being used.

The Registry replaces most of the text-based .ini files used in Windows 3.x and MS-DOS configuration files, such as the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys. Although the Registry is common to several Windows operating systems, there are some differences among them.
Registry data is stored in binary files.

Due to its vital importance to the operating system, it is necessary to make a back up before any changes

http://support.micro....com/kb/322756/

Big B

Big B

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok i Back up the registry thing....now what do i do....please help me step by stepp...sorry this is all new to me..thankss

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type regedit the press enter

You will see the registry editor

[attachment=4061:attachment]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GinaDLL

Click + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then look for the next word in the above key and click the + next to that and so on

Make sure you have the exact key before you click it, right click, click dlete, confirm

GeorgeSB

GeorgeSB

• Pip
  • 1 posts

ok i Back up the registry thing....now what do i do....please help me step by stepp...sorry this is all new to me..thankss

Keith
Thanks for clear instructions on registry edit.
All done. All solved.

techiedoc

techiedoc

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have the same problem as Big B on a laptop, except that HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GinaDLL
does not exist in it's registry. That is, there's no \GinaDLL in the indicated location. I am running Atheros Client Installation Program to operate their wireless LAN card, and The Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching has been disabled. Any other suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: techiedoc

Please start your own topic as this one is 3 and a half years old.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.