Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN98SE/Reinstall using external drive

• Please log in to reply

eastlake

eastlake

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HISTORY: Using the install/uninstall program in MY COMPUTER, I uninstalled several children's educational games--one file was "shared" with Windows. I still deleted it. When I rebooted the next day--my system acted normally up to the Windows Icon screen--several seconds later: "Error loading EXPLORER.EXE" After I clicked OK, "MSVCRT.DLL missing" ---then system hangs. I know that my Disk Drive D has been damaged for some time-- will not read any disk including the WIN98SE installation disk. When it attempts to read it--it spits it out! I have a new Disk Drive (different brand) to replace it..I have been using my external Nero Drive E in it's place for the last year.
I booted from my floppy rescue disc but cannot reach SAFE MODE to use Windows to work through this problem. I tried to access Drive E from DOS but failed: "Error CDR101". I ran SCANDISK in DOS to repair any fixable problems. Nothing showed up.
My plan is to reinstall WIN98SE rather than extract a file--either using a newly installed Disk Drive D or my exterior drive.

QUESTION:
A. If I install a new Disk Drive D will DOS be able to install the necessary Driver so the drive will be operational? (and I can use it to reinstall WIN98SE)?
B. If not, what suggestions does anyone have on changing the BIOS to boot from my Nero external drive (E)?
Thank you in advance...

Judy@eastlake

Advertisements