Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection present but...

• Please log in to reply

Falkens_Maze

Falkens_Maze

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
...cannot see other machines on network (but I can see my own), neither can I ping other nodes (request times out) or the server...

Connection is sending packets but not receiving any...

This is a company network.

Machine runs WinXP SP2.

Settings match those of another wireless machine which functions correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Have you called your IT dept? They would know the particulars of your co. network......

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you sure you're on the same DOMAIN/WORKGROUP as the other computers in the network?

Fenor

Falkens_Maze

Falkens_Maze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am the IT dept.

And yes the connection has the same workgroup name as the other nodes...

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
have you tried to "repair" the connection?

Falkens_Maze

Falkens_Maze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ok, if that didn't work, bring up the wireless connections {VIEW} and are you listed as connected?

if so and still no connection, manually disconnect and reconnect; if you have WEP/WPA, you may have to retype these key values

Falkens_Maze

Falkens_Maze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I think you've nailed the problem.

I don't know the WEP key.

Is there any way I can save the network configuration of the wireless machine we have that actually does work on a network setup disk and then running it on the machine I'm having the problem with?

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I don't think so; you need to actually type it in; now in the case of an "open" type of wireless system, the key, once typed in, will auto-display {But you can't read it} and you just accept what is there. Now if the key was changed, you will have to find out what it is and re-enter it

Falkens_Maze

Falkens_Maze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
How do I find out.

The previous head of the IT dept. isn't employed there anymore and the rest of the staff are without a clue regarding the apsswords/settings that he employed...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
One question, how are all your computers hooked up together? With a router? If so then I suggest you RESET the router. The normal way to do this is there is a little button (that you will need a paperclip to push down) that you keep pressed in for at least 30 seconds, then release it and the router should do it's self-test. Once that is complete, reboot your computer and then log into the router. You can usually do this by typing in 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 You will need a login and password. Since I don't know what router you are using (if in fact you are using a router) try these out and see if they work:
  • name: admin pass: (leave it blank)
  • name: admin pass: 1234
  • name: default pass: (leave it blank)
  • name: (leave it blank) pass: admin
  • name: (leave it blank) pass: default
  • name: administrator pass: (leave it blank)
  • name: (leave it blank) pass: administrator
These may or may not work. The best way to know for certain is to give the make and model # of your router.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 06 October 2005 - 07:23 PM.