Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Something seriously wrong

• Please log in to reply

A Train

A Train

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
While trying to insert and install an PCI Ethernet Card I have done something to the PC. It still works fine but wont regognise my Ethernet card that I have just connected. I have moved it to a different slot, but still doesnt find it.
When I first put it in, it found it but now it wont.

What have I done? Is this fixable.

Edited by A Train, 05 October 2005 - 07:27 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

What operating system are you using?

Go into device manager under system devices, are there any red or yellow marks?

Are the current cards listed in device manager and are there any red or yellows?

Rick

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It's not finding the Network Card you added again because it already found it the first time you installed it. Do what Doby has said and check the DEVICE MANAGER for any items with yellow question/exclamation mark next to it.

Most likely Windows doesn't have a built in driver to use the Network Card and as such you can't use it until you install the proper driver for it. Who is the manufacturer and what is the model # for the card and we can help you find the driver for it.

Fenor

A Train

A Train

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
When my old one wasnt working, I removed it from the device manager but when restarting my computer it did not detect it again and still cannot detect it now.

We are using windows ME and the card is an IEE-802.3 10/100Base-TX Fast Ethernet PCI adaptor and from what I can see the number is an RTL8139D

Hope that helps

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Maybe the auto install program from Realtek will work.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Did you look in device manager under system devices?

I am trying to see if there is anything wrong with the pci bus

Rick