Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Keyboard

• Please log in to reply

davew9999

davew9999

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Is it possible to get a USB keyboard to work during POST? If i want to enter the BIOS setup I have to plug in my PS2 keyboard as my USB keyboard doesn't turn on until Windows has loaded.

Any help will be appriciated!

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Try this.
Edit: Link posted twice.

Edited by Pi rules, 06 October 2005 - 12:16 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Is it possible to get a USB keyboard to work during POST? If i want to enter the BIOS setup I have to plug in my PS2 keyboard as my USB keyboard doesn't turn on until Windows has loaded.

Any help will be appriciated!

View Post

Yes, enter your bios with the ps/2 keyboard plugged in. Then find the option to enable usb legacy support. Save the settings and turn off your computer. Plug in your usb keyboard, turn on your computer and see if you can enter the bios using it.

Fenor

davew9999

davew9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
i couldn't find "UBS Legacy Support" but i did enable something that said "USB Keyboard Support" but it still doesn't work.

I have a Microsoft keyboard with fingerprint reader. Also its plugged into a PCI USB expansion card if this could have something to do with it not working?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes, the bios doesn't read PCI cards, only windows does. Plug it into a normal usb plug located on the back (or front if there are any) of your computer.

FEnor

davew9999

davew9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ahhh all works well now, thank you very much!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Yes, the bios doesn't read PCI cards, only windows does.  Plug it into a normal usb plug located on the back (or front if there are any) of your computer.

FEnor

View Post

Glad I could help! :tazz:

And to clarify my above statement. the bios does READ PCI cards, but doesn't know how to use them, which is why you need software installed in Windows (aka Drivers) for them to work properly in Windows.

Fenor