Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows media player

• Please log in to reply

kfoster

kfoster

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
For some strange reason my windows media player has a bad display. It dark and has a reddish contrast and I don't know how to correct it. I running Windows XP, with Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 Ultra, with the latest Media player version, I think it 10.
This is not the first time it has happen. It play correctly for about a month or two then it goes bad. The sound is OK. I only way that I know how to fix it was to completely format the drive and reinstall the OS. And I did this twice already. :tazz: . The latest video driver is installed. Can you help me with this problem?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What are you trying to play in WMP? An avi file? If so then you most likely don't have the correct codecs installed. WMP really sucks for playing avi files and some mpg files. What I suggest you do is download VLC Media Player HERE It is a great player that plays everything from mpgs, to avi's to even DVD's. And the best part is it's FREE! :tazz:

Fenor

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Should I delete WMP first before installing VLC player to prevent possible configuration conflict or is it a standalone player?

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well I tried that VLC player and got the same result. I don't think it's a codecs problem because the AVI or MPG files were playing good before. It's like its working fine, turn off the computer, turn it on the next day, now I have a bad display. I made no changes, it just goes bad. Like I said the only way I know how to fix it is to reinstall my OS. Can someone help me with this problem or suggestion?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are colors messed up when you do anything else? Like playing a game, etc...

Fenor

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
No, the colors looks great on all the other applications. Desktop, background, games all has excellent colors. Only the video files AVI, MPG, MPV, etc. And it is like that on the players, DivX, Real player, DVD player, they all have the same dark and reddish tint. I ran Dxdiag and ran their test, and everthing looks good. I have the latest video driver that Nvidia put out, installed. What else can I tried?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
properties->settings->advanced->troubleshoot

turn down acceleration to about half of what it is at presently....see if that helps

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
That did it! :) Turning down hardware acceleration corrected the display problem, but now I cannot play any high graphic games. So what I have to do is when I want to watch a video, turn it down acceleration and turn it up again to play games. I can live with it, but I don't understand why it working like this. I never had display problem brfore with WMP and I had this video card over a year. This problem started a month ago. I wonder if the card is going bad. Is that a possibility?
Well thank for your help :tazz:

OmLight

OmLight

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everybody,

I've been working with this problem with my Geforce 6600 and ASUS P4S800 (SiS) Chipset.
With MP9 Video (avi, wmv) hangs in a blank screen with acceleration hardware active. We must put to 'None' hardware acceleration in Windows Media Player to work correctly.

With WMP10 as said before, turning off hardware acceleration in display control panel, it solves the problem, but that was not a solution for me.

Today i've been reinstalled a new WinXP completly but i've done this steps (after completing WinXP install):

1.- Install IDE Driver for a SiS Chipset (it must work for Intel, VIA, Ali)
2.- Install AGP Driver for a SiS Chipset (same)
3.- Install Forceware 81.85, and try avi and wmv.
4.- Works fine for me (WMP9 and WMP10 without fixes, only installing above after WinXP install).

One thing i've seen before is that in the display panel of NVIDIA Information, where it sais memory, model, BIOS, bus device, the drivers until now recognize my NVIDIA as PCI or PCIx0 (mine is AGP) depending on Forceware driver version.

Doing steps before I've solved this problem and it is recognized as AGP 8x. I think that it was the problem.

Another thing done was update Motherboard firmware to latest version (10.10). In some cases this could help.

I have not installed Nero 6 yet, I've seen some incompatibilities issues with DVD Decoder and Audio AC3 Decoder and Media Player 10.

Hope all this helps, and regards to all people.

Thank you and good luck.

Edited by OmLight, 24 October 2005 - 09:42 AM.