Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no post, no display

• Please log in to reply

cjdexter

cjdexter

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Short story:

Moved house. Computer WAS working, after the 7 hr drive, it wasn't. I turn it on and the fans spin, the lights come on, but no display.

There are no beeps to warn me of errors.

I tried a new Vid card, no change.
I tried a new PSU, no change.
I pulled out all the IDE + SATA cables, no change.
I pulled out all the cards, no change.
I pulled out the RAM, no change and still no beeps.
I pulled the HSF off the CPU (socket 478) and the CPU came out stuck to the HSF with bent pins.

I carefully straightened the pins, reapplied thermal paste, reinstalled CPU + HSF, no change.

How can i tell if it's a dead CPU or a dead MB?

At no time were there any beeps, but the fans and HDD spin and the lights come on. Never any display.

thanks.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you remove all the ram and try to boot, and had no beep codes, I suspect the motherboard died. This assumes your system speaker is working....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would also assume that if y ou hadn't pulled the cpu out before the move and it was working...that you bent the pins wile pulling the fan off...so...while the pins being bent probably weren't causing the original problem...they may have something to do with it now

cjdexter

cjdexter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah, i figured that i bent the pins when the CPU stuck to the HS.

It's got the same problem now as it did before removing the CPU though, so hopefully, it's just a problem with the M/B.

Managed to get a M/B to try, see if that fixes it before i smend some $

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You might want to try and clear the cmos, long shot at best.

Don't give up on the board yet, try it outside the case with minimal components maybe some sort of case short.

Rick

cjdexter

cjdexter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry. Forgot to mention that i alread tried clearing the cmos.

Anyway, the MB i borrowed from work was the go. Had onboard video, and i got a display. So to test, i put my vid card in the new board, nothing. No display. VERY STRANGE because the vid card i put in my old MB from my parents computer done nothing, indicating that it was not a faulty video card.

Took the vid card into work and put it in one of the show PC's, nothing.

Borrowed a workmates vid card, put it in my old setup, and i get a display. GRRR.

So now i'm shopping for a replacement.

Thinking of a either a:
XpertVision GF 6600GT 128MB 128bit DDR3, AGP 8X, DVI, TV-Out, HDTV support for AU$198

OR

XpertVision GF 6600 128MB 128bit DDR, AGP 8X, DVI, TV Out for AU$139

Is the GT worth the extra $?