Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start - All Programs

• Please log in to reply

ebaker51

ebaker51

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
This evening I removed some malware (with Geekstogo help). Now when I go to START and point to ALL PROGRAMS, nothing happens.......also I get a pop up box stating WINDOWS INSTALLER has started, but nothing happens.
Also, some of the icons on my desktop no longer work........
Appreciate your assistance......

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which applications and which desktop icons

ebaker51

ebaker51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
All of the Microsoft office icons....plus START functions like SEARCH do not work.......

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, reboot when the bar goes

If no change

Try here

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Don't worry; Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

For Office, if you have the installation CD then go to add / remove, click Office then click change, click customize the installation, then look for complete install / run all from my computer

ebaker51

ebaker51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I tried the add/change.....it started the install and then the installer hung up. The it told me that the patch package could not be opened...........