Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD ROMS Dissapeared

• Please log in to reply

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I'll look for the path while we are waiting. how long has it been?

question: has ALL cd/dvd burning software been uninstalled from the PC? if not, what is currently installed.

Advertisements

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
All burning software has been uninstalled.
It's been loke 30 minutes and the second drive is still there.
Do you want me to chhange them now?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
let's try a simple read of a disk and see if the drive disappears.

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
so far so good. I've explored a whole CD and it's still there. I even took it out and still there.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
well, this tells us that one particular drive may behave by itself. please identify the drive in your next post - cd or dvd.

let's see what the other drive does.

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
ok, now cd drive is up and running and dvd drive is disconnected. I will let it run without working on the pc

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
while we are waiting:

how is the PC configured? hard drive on one IDE cable, cd/dvd on the other? another configuration?

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
As best as I know, Hard Drive on one IDE cable, cd(master)/dvd (slave) on another. I have FreshDiagnose installed and it can produce a report on aything you need.
BTW, cd drive just dissapeared.
I forgot to mention that earlier on, the drive that was installing and crashed before dissapearing was the dvd.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
thanks for the drive info.

before we proceed, let's make sure of what has happened.

the dvd was able to read a disk, and did not disappear when tested as the only device on the IDE cable.

the cd drive disappeared in the single drive configuration.

is this correct?

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
yep, absolutely correct. just remember when both were connected, the dvd also did funny things.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
let's try this - connect the cd drive to the same IDE cable as the hard drive. it will need to be jumpered as a slave. disconnect the dvd drive.

we want to see if the cd drive disappears when connected to the other IDE cable.

windows should find new hardware on bootup, since there was no slave drive connected to the primary IDE cable previously.

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I connected the cd on the same IDE cable than the HD, it never reinstalled it, it just showed up, but Windows crashed constantly with an KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR Stop 0x00000077.

I went back to conncting it on a separate IDE cable as before. I left the DVD disconnected for the time being. Sometimes the CD shows up and sometimes not, and it still dissapears.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry to jump back in here after just watching for so long but...

bdlt....do you think it might be an IRQ conflict? if one of the drives works on its own?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
dsenette,

thanks for watching this thread. I suppose an IRQ conflict is possible. this one is strange - the drives have disappeared while in use(IRQ?) and they have disappeared after several minutes of no activity(who knows why that would happen).

we're trying to check out the secondary IDE port. both devices have acted up when connected to the secondary IDE cable. the DVD drive may not have been tested long enough for it to disappear. I'd be surprised if the DVD drive does not eventually disappear when connected as the only device on the secondary IDE port. but if it doesn't disappear, then either the CD drive or the secondary port may be at fault. we're still testing.

stay tuned for our next exciting episode.

bdlt

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
toyma,

let's try reconnecting the DVD drive to the secondary IDE cable. and disconnect the CD drive. I feel we didn't leave it installed long enough for it to disappear.

bdlt