Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nid Suggestion

• Please log in to reply

rfire2k

rfire2k

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
guys i need suggestion how to make our office network efficient than our exisitng LAN setup that we are using now.

we have 60pcs here, running under 1 workgroup, we use wireless LAN and seperated w/ 3 access point and connected to 1 router where our internet is connected and has 1 file server servin' 60pc

our file transfer here is slow which makes me sick! as well our internet connection... i think the cause of it is the battleneck that is happening to the router and the file server..

need suggestion and comments /thx

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey rFire2k, Welcome to G2G

The first problem is see is that a "workgroup" by definition is limited to 10 computers. So to eleviate some of the congestion, you need to be using 6 workgroups, try to arrange them logically by location. Second, ideally you would have a AP for each workgroup.

Next look again at your router, make sure that it is appropriate for the job. Also, consider the kind of file access that is occuring at the files server. If you are working with text files, you should be ok...however, if each user is working with databases or large graphics files...well i'm sure you can see how that would effect performance..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also, wireless connections are kind of first come first serve...so...being wireless will slow the system down too....in office type situations where all machines are desktops not portables it's usually best to just go with a wired network

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
or a mix of both, based on location in the office; I have seen those as well, albeit far few systems than your office......lol

rfire2k

rfire2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hey rFire2k, Welcome to G2G

The first problem is see is that a "workgroup" by definition is limited to 10 computers. So to eleviate some of the congestion, you need to be using 6 workgroups, try to arrange them logically by location.  Second, ideally you would have a AP for each workgroup.

Next look again at your router, make sure that it is appropriate for the job.  Also, consider the kind of file access that is occuring at the files server.  If you are working with text files, you should be ok...however, if each user is working with databases or large graphics files...well i'm sure you can see how that would effect performance..

View Post

thanx for this... btw what "AP" stands for?... and is there a way to password protect each worgroup???

i got another question. in Microsoft Windows Proffesional SP2 how can i create a shared folder w/ username and password to restrict other members from my workgroup accessing it.

Edited by rfire2k, 07 October 2005 - 04:17 AM.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
an AP - is an ACCESS POINT - you could assign a seperate wireless SSID for each workgroup, but this needs to be planned carefully. If you were to do this you would have to ensure that any workstations that need access to each other would be in the SAME workgroup.

rfire2k

rfire2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thaks for all the reply i nid suggestion again guys

currently we are using linksys wirless network (lan card, router and access point).
is linksys good?? if yes, any linksys system that you would like to recommend thanks in advance :tazz: