Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop fan issues w/Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

JonMikelV

JonMikelV

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've got an older HP Pavilion 500Mhz AMD laptop that came with Windows 98SE. Since I upgraded to Windows XP Pro I noticed that the fan never comes on while in Windows XP even though it used to under W98.

Some have suggested that XP is just better at running chips at happier speeds but I (my legs) think the unit is running hotter under XP than it did under 98.

I know the fan works 'cause it runs during POST & XP load up to a certain point (not sure exactly when 'cause the screen is blank at the time) after which it doesn't come on again until I reboot.

I didn't think to run it under W98 but under WXP Speedfan 4.26 reports 58C while I'm typing this but a topped out 64C while doing a virus scan earlier.

I've seen a few sites that say some Dells laptops have this issue and that it relates to custom hardware for accessing the fan. There's even a Dell specific piece of freeware (i8kfangui220.exe) to address it.

Anybody else have this problem or know of a solution (that doesn't involve me dumping XP)?

Thanks!

Jon-Mikel

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I suggest trying http://www.hp.com/ support and see if this is a known issue for this laptop. They may have a solution. You can search the knowledge base by your product. If you don't find the answer there, they have a web interface to contact tech support with your question. I would suspect that this AMD cpu needs to have that fan running.

Edited by austin_o, 06 October 2005 - 07:10 AM.