Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003 not sending

• Please log in to reply

JohnAin

JohnAin

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Oh boy. This is a corker. I cannot get Outlook 2003 to perform the smtp send process.

1. I have removed all addins that are registered in Outlook.

2. I have killed the add-in load process in the registry for both local machine and current user

3. I have set on logging. The log shows a good pop3 process, but doesn't even mention the smtp process.

4. I have resent the mails from another folder countless times.

5. I've turned off Trend Micro outbound e-mail scanning, and even switched off the firewall (heaven help me)

Unless somebody can help me step 6 will be the application of a sharp knife to my wrists !!!!

:tazz: :)

Edited by JohnAin, 06 October 2005 - 07:27 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi JohnAin! Welecome to G2G!

Are you sure you have the correct information for the SMTP server in your account information?

Fenor

JohnAin

JohnAin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the post

Sadly yes! I am. It's really wierd. There is no mention of the "send" transactions in the tracking log

John

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
While I do some research, try the following: Try setting up an account in outlook express and see if you can send and receive messages. Easiest way to do this is to send an email to yourself.

Fenor

JohnAin

JohnAin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
.... in fact the on-screen status screen says that it's doing it and gives it a tick as though it's done it properly.

John

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
One other thing, what is the exact error message you get when you try to send an email message?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

5. I've turned off Trend Micro outbound e-mail scanning, and even switched off the firewall (heaven help me)

Does this mean you turned off the windows xp built in firewall or another one?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The following is taken from THIS Microsoft website that talks about setting up an email account in Outlook 2003:

d. Click Test Account Settings. This is a new capability in Outlook. This feature calls a dialog box that displays, in a step-by-step manner, each phase of testing the configuration that you have just input. The following occurs when you click Test Account Settings:
  • The connectivity of your system to the Internet is confirmed.
  • You are logged on to the SMTP server.
  • You are logged on to the POP3 server.
  • It is determined if the POP3 server needs to be logged on to first. If necessary, Outlook automatically sets Log on to incoming mail server before messages are sent.
  • A test message is sent. This message explains any changes that Outlook made to your initial setup.
Fenor

JohnAin

JohnAin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Fenor

Outlook Express works fine !! Good call. I should have thought of that. Now I am sure that the glitch is in the dreaded Outlook!! :tazz:

JohnAin

JohnAin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi again. Test account settings shows no errors ... nor does the status window during the (alleged) update
John

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then unless you absolutely need to use the bloated Outlook for some reason, I'd stick with Outlook Express since we know it works :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Wait, go to OFFICE UPDATE and download the updates for office which you obviously have on your computer since Outlook comes with it :tazz: Maybe there is a patch for Outlook 2003 to fix some internal problem. Can't hurt anyways :)

Fenor

JohnAin

JohnAin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
How about this? I imported the Outlook Express e-mail accountinto Outlook 2003. It wors fine in Express, but not in Outlook. I think I'll see if I can find that sharp knife!

JohnAin

JohnAin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That's what I'm going to have to do. The real problem that I have is that I do not get any error message at all, it just doesn't do it!!

I really need to useOutlook 2003, though ... going to the Windows update page is a good idea ... I will do that. Thanks

JohnAin

JohnAin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I just checked. I'm on Service Pack 1 for Office 2003 on this laptop, so I'm downloading the mighty Service Pack 2. There are no references to this or similar issues in the documentation, but I' will cross my fingers and hope for the best. The worst case scenario is that I export Outlook as a pst file, uninstall it, re-install it and re-import my pst file. I cannot do that today because I'm at work in Paris and I live in the South of France!. In the meantime thanks a million for all of your help. bye.