Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

home network

• Please log in to reply

sue472

sue472

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Got it all working now. Thanks to everyone that helped!

Hi - I am very new at networking! I've searched internet for answers, called Linksys(no help) & am still lost. I just bought a new notebook with WiFi & would like to share printers & files wirelessly with my old desktop.
New notebook - Windows XP home 804.11g wireless
Old Desktop - Windows 98SE - it says it has a SiS 900 based PCI fast Ethernet adapter
I live in the sticks & only am able to get dial up internet - I'm not concerned with sharing this.
I was sold a Linksys WRT54G router, and was told this would do it - hard wire Old Desktop to Router & notebook will find it - wouldn't need DSL modem for it to work. I've named & set up workgroups etc. I'm not even sure it is configured - putting the http:// into the the browser does nothing. The Notebook finds router but nothing from desktop side.
Is this the right way to go? Do I need a NIC for desktop? Would updating Desktop to XP help (plan to do this soon anyway)?
What if I returned router & I got a USB wireless card for the Desktop. Would this do it? Would I need anything else like a Wireless Access Point (it sounds like what I already have)?

Do I know too little for you to help me??

I would like to understand this better - I'm actually pretty good at most computer related stuff. Any recommendations as to where to go, what to do, what to buy etc to educate myself?

Edited by sue472, 10 October 2005 - 12:04 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you asked if y ou needed a nic for the desktop. how is the desktop attatched to the router?

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

New notebook - Windows XP home 804.11g wireless
Old Desktop - Windows 98SE - it says it has a SiS 900 based PCI fast Ethernet adapter
I live in the sticks & only am able to get dial up internet - I'm not concerned with sharing this.

View Post

Well from what you described you have a NIC on the desktop. Are you sharing your dial-up connection on the desktop, or how did you plan on getting on the internet??

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

Baggyboy

Baggyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
from your desktop machine, enter 192.168.2.1 in the address bar. If accessible, this should show your router setup page. Are the LAN settings configured correctly on the old desktop? As you are running Win98 on there it probably doesn't auto-configure. It's been so long since I used 98 I don't remember.

If you can access the Router from your laptop then I would recommend that you run the network setup wizard from there and then let it make a floppy disk for you to use to configure the old computer.

You may need to configure things to make your desktop the pc that other machines on the network connect to the internet through. You should setup the laptop to access the internet through another pc on the network. I know you do not plan to share your dialup connection but let's pretend you are for the sake of this wizard :tazz:

Please post back with any results you get, good or bad!

sue472

sue472

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the responses. Still plugging away at this network thing. I've got it so that both the notebook & desktop are networked - I think it was a firewall problem. But the notebook won't print via the desktop. Right now I'm trying to figure out if it's a driver problem - does the XP look for a 98 driver (where the printer is) or an XP driver?
I wouldn't mind trying ICS - but (assuming I get things to work!) isn't having the firewall down to allow sharing risky in windows 98 - it doesn't seem to have the exception capabilities that XP has?

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
in home networking, when you set up a "network printer" the machine that the printer is connected to doesn't do anything different. When OTHER machines on the network add this printer, their OS will install the printer drivers (So let's say your printer was connected to a 98 machine; then the XP system that connects over the network will install XP printer driver to the XP machine so it can use the printer)

This is transparant to the 98 machine and vice-versa depending on your setup

For 98 firewall, you can use the FREE ZoneAlarm; I have used it on countless 9x computers without problems, and as far as I can tell, no conflicts

Edited by kd1966, 06 October 2005 - 05:50 PM.

Baggyboy

Baggyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
As far as I can remember, when I was trying to configure printer sharing on my own home network it was necessary to install the printer drivers on both machines. If you run the install disc for your printer on your notebook then it may give you the option to find a remote printer during driver installation.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Of course both systems need a printer driver, but the system the printer is physically connected to already has the driver installed; therefore, when with the non physically connected systems, trying to add a network printer, the OS on the non physically connected system will attempt to install the printer driver for that printer. It's been my experience that adding the network printer from the remote system works better than trying from the system with the printer attached.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello sue472 and welcome to Geeks to Go, :tazz:

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you, in correctly setting up your File and Print Share Home Network.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on all PC's being connected to the File and Print Share network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?

2) What are the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless / Wired Adapter's currently Installed on all PC's being Included in this Network?

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?

4) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

5) What antivirus programs do you have running?

6) What firewalls do you have running?

7) What pop-up blockers, Ad Blockers, and Malware detectors do you have running?

8) What is the model and manufacturer of all the printers you are wanting to Share?

9) Do you have the original installation disk for each and every printer you are wanting to share?

10) Do you have the ability to write to a blank Floppy [not a prerequisite just makes the setup a little easier])

11) What steps have you already taken to try and implement the File and Print Share Ability for your network?

PLEASE ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-11 THOROUGHLY, TO HELP ME BETTER PROVIDE
YOU WITH A WALKTHROUGH ON HOW TO SETUP YOUR FILE AND PRINT SHARE
NETWORK
:)