Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which is faster? Athlon or Celeron?

• Please log in to reply

abe999

abe999

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I am in the middle of an insurance claim for my "Time" 8375 laptop and as usual the company seems to be trying to supply a lower spec one than the one I had!

I am ok on sizes of Ram, Hard Drive etc but what I am unsure of is the difference in processor speed?

My Laptop on startup said it had an AMD Athlon 2600+

The Packard Bell easy note 2560 has a celeron M360 1.4ghz and they are telling me it is more powerful?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Or drop point me to some websites which may help/

Thanks

Matt

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the AMD Athlon 2600+ is rated for 1.917 Ghz which already means it's faster....and...well...even the lower end amd processors are better than celerons....

abe999

abe999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the swift response, appreciate that. Thanks for the info, Gone back to the insurer and they are now proposing a AMD Duron 1.6ghz so just need to see if that is better than the AMD 2600+

Thanks again

Matt

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would tell them that you want a direct replacement of the laptop, the the amd 2600+ series is still on t he market and to my knowledge has not been discontinued

abe999

abe999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
interesting comment there! The company branding the laptop is not in business anymore and a quick search on the net does not bring up a laptop using the AMD 2600+ chip here in the UK.

Obiously the insurance company is trying to get off with the cheapest laptop it can!

The spec they are now proposing exceeds my original spec, it's just the question of processor speed comparison.

Your knowledge has enabled me to "frighten" the insurance company to reconsider.

on looking at the spec on the net it is in fact an AMD Turion 64bit ML28 chip which one would presume is faster than the AMD 2600+?

Regards

Matt

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yes, the Athlon Turion 64 ML28 is definately better than the athlon 2600+. Apart from being faster, its also 64-bit, although you won't get the benefits of it being 64 bit unless the laptop is running a 64bit operating system as well & at the moment XP 64 sucks.

I can't believe the insurance company tried to palm you off with a Celeron 1.4GHz or a Duron 1.6GHz :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

I can't believe the insurance company tried to palm you off with a Celeron 1.4GHz or a Duron 1.6GHz

Ain't you glad you came to GtG and asked these knowledgeable folks.
But some would have excepted without taking the time to ask those in the know and would have lost out.

Rick