Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

psu wattage question

• Please log in to reply

morfius

morfius

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi I was just wondering what the minimum wattage power supply is required to run a system with:

Celeron D 2.93ghz
256mb ram
160gb seagate barracuda
ati radeon 9550 256mb

I asked because I currently have the above system except with integrated graphics and a 250w psu. If I bought the radeon 9550 would I need a new psu or is a 250w psu enough.

Many Thanks
Morfius

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
250 might be enough...but...i find that 350 or 400 is usually good especially if you plan for further expansion. they aren't that expensive and it just allows for greater flexibility

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

If you know all your system specs, go to This Page for a nice little PSU requirement calculator..

Murray

morfius

morfius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks Murray for your reply

That calculator is very useful.

I don't need a new psu - I will have about 20 watts to spare.

If I do decide to get a new psu though does the amount of money you pay necessarily make one better and how. (Not in wattage terms but brand terms).

Cheers
Morfius

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
better power supplies typically result in more consistant delivery of wattage.

A cheap power supply will supply adequate wattage, but if you have multiple componants drawing power the power can fluctuate up and down as each componant pulls power.

A better power supply will maintain consistant power to all devices, leading to better stability and componant life.

I have had more than a few systems where I could not find a problem but it was just a wonky power supply. I have also used $19 power supplies that never gave me trouble.

More than anything, if you do a lot of dvd/cd burning, I find a consistant power supply results in fewer coasters.

morfius

morfius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
just one more question

how good is the sapphire radeon 9550 256mb graphics card. Your opinions please.

Does the make have any difference on the overall performance of the card, because I have seen sapphire ati radeon 9550 256mb and I have seen hightech ati radeon 9550 256mb on online store. The hightech one is a few pounds cheaper.
Are they both the same in performance or is one better?

Thanks for all your help
Morfius

morfius

morfius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
On the psu calculator does usb device mean having something like an ipod plugged into one of your usb ports. Or do usb ports still use power even without something plugged in.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Doesn't matter.. You will have something plugged in sooner or later right!!

Murray

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

just one more question

how good is the sapphire radeon 9550 256mb graphics card. Your opinions please.

Does the make have any difference on the overall performance of the card, because I have seen sapphire ati radeon 9550 256mb and I have seen hightech ati radeon 9550 256mb on online store. The hightech one is a few pounds cheaper.
Are they both the same in performance or is one better?

Thanks for all your help
Morfius

View Post

9550 = low-end card for today's games...you can play farcry, doom, halflife, but with the eye candy off and only at low resolutions.

There is very little difference between brands for a low end card...at the high end, OEM engineers put a lot of effort into tweaking cards and ramping them up, but at the low-end they are mostly stock ati reference designs.

morfius

morfius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
can you recommend the best card available for about £50 and how much will it outperform a geforce 4 mx440.

Also when you are playing a game, does the graphics card determine the loading time or does the computer processor determine the loading time. When I turn up settings, loading times increase, is that to do with the graphics card struggling or cpu or wot.