Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 2000 and XP network

• Please log in to reply

Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
:tazz:

I have 2 machines. Wired through a router. Originally 2000 was wireless but I hardwired it to remove any issue there.

Machine 1 is windows 2000 pro.
Machine 2 is XP home.
Router - Linksys BEFW11S4 etherfast wireless/wired router.

2000 machine can view shared files and has no issue.
XP machine will only occasionally connect to 2000 machine and most often it locks out my user account on the 2000 machine. If however, I do get the login screen all is ok for a while or until one or the other machine is logged off or restarted.

Each machine is in same workgroup. I even made a administrator account on the 2000 machine with the same name as the XP machine. The XP netwroking disk tool does not work on 2000.

I suspec there is some security issue I cannot find.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
This does sound strange. You say it functions normally sometimes, but then reboots one of the pc's? I am thinking that if it works fine sometimes, then your problems are not specifically the network.....never can fully tell though. When you get disconnected, or can't connect or any sort of time there's an error/problem. Turn the machine back on, go to control panel, administrative tools, event viewer. This will tell you all the good and bad events that have happened, with times by the entries. You may be able to narrow something down that way. Let me know which kind of errors you find.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No, it doesnt reboot the machine. What happens is when I try to access the 2000 machine through the network (router) from the XP machine, I get an error that says something to the effect that "Cannot access computername the user account has been locked out". Then I go to my 2000 machine and check through the user control that yes, my account is indeed locked out, I release it and am ok but if I try again, it does it again. Now occasionally, when on the XP machine and I click network neiborhood, then I think it says computers in my workgroup, sometimes the error I just mentioned and sometimes I get the login access. At that point I can enter the username and password from one of the 2000 users and it accesses it. Then say I close the windows, or reboot, or log-off and try again later... user account is locked out. It seems random but the odds of getting the login screen seem to be about 1 in 6 or there abouts. I will go down and try to access it now and look in the event log (currenly empty since I havent tried today).

Will report back shortly. :tazz:

Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry, I have been gone for a few days.

No the problem is still there and I see absolutely nothing in the event log which is wierd to me.

nyCecilia

nyCecilia

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi--

I have a similar situation (although mine doesn't happen just sometimes)

My W2K pc connects to my XP laptop with no problems. But I can't get into my 2k pc from the XP laptop,

On the laptop, under My Network Places, all I see is the shared laptop folders. If I right click on My network places and try to map a drive, I can see my pc listed, but I can't map any drives.

I'm fairly new to networking and VERY new to XP, so if anyone could offer assistance...maybe hints on what to look for, where to look for it, I'd appreciate anything like that.

TIA!

Cecilia :-)

nyCecilia

nyCecilia

• Pip
  • 9 posts

On the laptop, under My Network Places, all I see is the shared laptop folders.  If I right click on My network places and try to map a drive, I can see my pc listed, but I can't map any drives. 

View Post

What I do get is an error message ("Win2K" not available).

This happens all the time.

I'm ready to put Win2K on the laptop, but there must be a better solution.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go nyCecilia, please start your own topic in the networking forum as to avoid confusion and describe in detail the nature of the problem. :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

BobWerner

BobWerner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I almost have the same situation at home. Here's how I get things to work.
Win2k Pro as my file repository. Have a user account with the same UN/PW as the WinXP Pro machine setup in users. Set password to never expire.
WinXP Pro machine (My main machine) setup my account to have admin privies on the XP machine and use the same Un/pw as I got setup on the 2K machine. Notice I am NOT using domain authentication.
Have both PCs in the same workgroup (named WDW for walt disney world)
2K computer is named Mickey and WinXP is Goofy. Both can see the other one and I share the hard drive from the 2k machine.
I map a drive (P:) on the XP machine that accesses the 2K machine. All are on the same subnet 192.168.10.x
It works like a champ and I have no lock out issues. It sounds like your account is fubared for some reason on the 2k machine. Delete it and recreate. See if that fixes the issue. Also make sure it has the same Un/pw as on the XP machine. All accounts 2k and XP should have admin rights. You are in control.

nyCecilia

nyCecilia

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Welcome to Geeks to Go nyCecilia, please start your own topic in the networking forum as to avoid confusion and describe in detail the nature of the problem.  :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

View Post

Sorry, thought I was doing a *good* thing by not repeating a topic. I'll repost. Thanks!

nyCecilia

nyCecilia

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I almost have the same situation at home. Here's how I get things to work.
Win2k Pro as my file repository. Have a user account with the same UN/PW as the WinXP Pro machine setup in users. Set password to never expire.
WinXP Pro machine (My main machine) setup my account to have admin privies on the XP machine and use the same Un/pw as I got setup on the 2K machine. Notice I am NOT using domain authentication.
Have both PCs in the same workgroup (named WDW for walt disney world)
2K computer is named Mickey and WinXP is Goofy. Both can see the other one and I share the hard drive from the 2k machine.
I map a drive (P:) on the XP machine that accesses the 2K machine. All are on the same subnet 192.168.10.x
It works like a champ and I have no lock out issues. It sounds like your account is fubared for some reason on the 2k machine. Delete it and recreate. See if that fixes the issue. Also make sure it has the same Un/pw as on the XP machine. All accounts 2k and XP should have admin rights. You are in control.

View Post

So the Usernames have to be the same on both machines? Never thought of that.... Actually, I was trying to get away from having any passwords, as I live alone (although the durned cat might try to get access ;-) but the W2K machine wants me to have one and I couldn't figure out how to boot in without having the logon screen. WXP doesn't require me to logon. That could be another problem....

Thanks! This is quite an exercise :-)

Advertisements

BobWerner

BobWerner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
That's the only way I could get the machines "talking" to each other. I had to setup a user account on the 2K machine with the same un/pw as the XP machine. It works well for me and I hope it does for you.

Phasers on stun, good luck, Kirk out.

Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The only thing I havent tried is deleting my user account and redoing it. I did however make up a new user and made an identical user for the XP machine and still have the problem.

I will try as you say. One question, when logged into the 2k machine do I need to log is as the one that is repeated on the XP machine or as long as the 2k machine has a user set up?

Anothe thing. Originally the 2k was on a domain, I took it off the domain since I dont need access that network, prior to all this and added it to my homw workgroup, could that be a partial explanation to the fubar?

BobWerner

BobWerner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
By downgrading it, there could be an issue. I'll let someone else tackle that quetion. As for logging onto the 2k machine. Yes, I have an account setup with the same identical username/password and login with that.
If you're going to redo the account, you must login as administrator with that password. Then delete the account and recreate it. Win2k will do strange things at times. Hey, it's Micro$oft what do you expect?

If you have further issues, just slap another question out there.

Are we having fun yet?

Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok...before I delete the username (yes I have all admin rights) will this affect all the settings I have such as e-mail etc? I realize it means I will have to reconfigure my desktop etc. What other things should I expect to have to redo?

nyCecilia

nyCecilia

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Unfortunately, it didn't work. Thanks anyway.

That's the only way I could get the machines "talking" to each other. I had to setup a user account on the 2K machine with the same un/pw as the XP machine. It works well for me and I hope it does for you.

Phasers on stun, good luck, Kirk out.

View Post