Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

buying a new copy of XP for 2 computers?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Cass944

Cass944

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My current computer was used and came with XP on it. when i try to do any windows updates or anything it tells me i have an invalid copy of windows. so i was going to get a new copy from office max, but I am also about to complete building a new computer that i also need to put xp on. so if i put it on this old one and then put it on the new one will microsoft get mad and not let me to updates again?

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Here's the deal: You most likely have a "pirated" copy of XP on the used system, so yes, you should buy a retail version to replace it, by law.

NO, you should NOT try to put the same copy you buy on 2 PC's, not only is it illegal, but will not work due to WPA, or Windows product activation - what MS uses to control piracy. I think XP will only work for 30 days(?) unless you activate it.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

They will get worse than that and refuse to allow one of the installs to activate which means the system stops loading Windows in 30 days or less..

If you want XP on two systems then you MUST purchase two separate licenses or cd's for the install..

I have also noticed you have posted a log in the Malwrae Forum.. I have advised the person helping you of your inability to update due to an illegal copy of Windows.. I suspect he will advise you that your support on that thread will end until you have a legal version installed!! :tazz:

Murray

Cass944

Cass944

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I just realised i had a bad copy of XP when i tried to update to sp1a. looks like i might be buying 2 coppies of xp.

thanks guys

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Ya.. Sorry about that.. You probably didn't even know it was not a kosher version butm our ToS doesn't allow us to assist anyone that is running illegal software.. :)

Also, due to the fact you are running an illegal version, I will have to close this thread.. Thanks for your understanding and co-operation in this matter..

Once you have installed a legal version, do not hesitate in coming back for any problems you may be incurring !! :tazz:

Murray