Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP repair problems -can nobody help me?

• Please log in to reply

dans1

dans1

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi, I just recently cleared out a file "geeda.dll" (with the help of geeks to go forum moderators) which seemed to be the cause of my winfixer adware. I found that when I deleted the file, I was nor able to boot into safe mode or normal mode. In safe mode, the computer would freeze when loading the drivers. In normal mode, the comp would boot as if everything were normal but it woudl just display my desktop background and cursor with no taskbar or icons and would not allow me to access task manger. I was instructed to run a XP system repair using my XP CD. This is an account of what occured: I ran the repair. While downloading the new files from the CD, I got a blue screen that said it needed to shut down XP. It went something like this: BAD_POOL_CALLER. If this is the first time you have seen this message, restart, otherwise follow these suggestions: check to make sure that hardware is properly installed. Disable or remove newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. Technical information: *** STOP: 0x000000CL (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x00340045, 0xEA11c) Well, I restarted my computer and It went through the rest of the install process at the end of which it rebooted. When it finished rebooting I found that my system reverted to SP1 but all my personal files were saved. It appeared that my computer was back to normal. I installed the windows update software and when it prompted me to restart, I shut down and left teh rest for eth next day. The next day comes and when I boot up my computer I find that everything appears normal save teh fact that I cannot open anything on my desktop (but I can highlight them), when I bring my cursor over my taskbar it shows the hourglass, and the programs and system info (like my internet connection status) do not load up in the bottom right of the taskbar next to the time. I just get my AVG and ewido icon. I restart into safe mode and it works fine, but sometimes it freezes in save mode when i use the keyboard at all. I ran through the whole process again, rapairing with the XP CD and the EXACT same thing happened where I get teh BAD_POOL_CALLER message, then restart and the installation finishes and computer functions correctly but once I restart, I messes up again as described.............Sorry for teh long message, I truely hope that you can help me, thanks. Here is the link to the other topic if you want it as a reference: http://www.geekstogo...topic=68695&hl=

Edited by dans1, 06 October 2005 - 03:08 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it were me, I would back up the data then format the drive with the manufacturer's set up utility

Ahead of that, you could do the repair here

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

or here

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

Use the last in list, Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, this uses a slightly different method but still leaves data intact

Then set a restore point, then run disc clean up, press more options then clear all but the most recent restore point, run the PC for a couple of hours, setting a new restore point each hour

Then when you do not need the PC for a couple of hours

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If, after you reboot, it doesn't want to play, try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

This is to let you start from a restore point, but if after doing the above, it still does not run, it is best to back up the data and clear the drive

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try some of these options. Do you want me to run the defrag at the same time I type sfc /scannow in run? I have teh XP cd in, defrag running and I ran sfc /scannow, a black screen came up for a second then disappeared....I'm assuming I have to wait for defrag to finish.

Edited by dans1, 06 October 2005 - 03:44 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
NEVER do anything while defrag is running, you run the risk of corrupting files. Let it finish and then do some of the other options Keith suggested.

Fenor

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
I searched for your posts re your winfixer problems, and didnt find an HJT log etc, just a thread about Best free firewall?

I guess my question is "How do you know all your malware problems are gone?"

If it were me, heres what I'd do:

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

MAKE SURE YOU POST YOUR HJT LOG IN THE MALWARE FORUM, not back here, or the elves will have to drag your post back there and they get upset, and you dont want to see a gaggle of upset elves. :tazz:

Best regards,

EMCguy.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

I searched for your posts re your winfixer problems, and didnt find an HJT log etc, just a thread about Best free firewall?

His HJT log is shown very clearly in the link at the very bottom of dan1's first post in this thread.

Fenor

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I backed up all my files and finished up the repair with a bit of trial and error and everything seems to be working pretty well now. Topic closed?

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

His HJT log is shown very clearly in the link at the very bottom of dan1's first post in this thread.

Fenor

View Post

Fenor, sorry, I missed that link :)

I ran into a real noob a few days ago and learned that sometimes it is wise to check a members posts before wasting too much time on a reply.

But when I searched on dans1, the search defaults to the current forum. I did not realize that I needed to change the search parameters to all of GTG. I guess I m the noob. :) My bad

Hi Dans1, glad to hear you problems are fixed. I better look into some reading glasses. :tazz: :)

Best regards to all,

EMCguy