Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help w/Memory timings

• Please log in to reply

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hey y'all! Just a quickie if you have the time to research:

I have Soyo Dragon2v2.0 MOBO and 2 each 1gb PC3200 memory sticks; I want to essentially do is to "Maximize" my performance. I have already set them up in a "Dual Channel" configuration, although not sure what if any advantage that gave me.

I have the timings now at 2.5-3-3-7
Using Everest, my READ is 2447mb, WRITE is 843mb, and LATENCY is 114.8ns

I can manually change these, but am getting "pooped" when I hit a setting that the computer doesn't like, then resetting and such.

If someone knows the maximized settings on this, I would really appreciate it

THANKS!

EDIT: Original timing settings were 3-5-5-9 and was set up in a single channel mode

Edited by kd1966, 06 October 2005 - 02:21 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

There is normally certain settings in the bios that will affect ram performance, although you won't be able to change things like the CAS or RAS latencies directly. The cas latency is often affected by the FSB speed the ram is running at but thats about it.

To be honest, given that you have 2GB of ram anyway, I really don't think you are going to notice any improvement in performance if you do manage to tweak the ram settings up a bit. You would be better off concentrating on settings that make the system the most stable rather than the highest performance (the two don't often go together totally).

kd1966

kd1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thanks, I think I've noticed during my benching phase that there isn't really much to gain here. If I didn't mention it before, the FSB is 400mhz and the CPU is Athlon XP 3200+

Thanks again