Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Switched back to 98, now no internet :(

• Please log in to reply

Under21

Under21

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey. Last week, I went back to 98 after trying XP because XP was way too slow for my computer.

I downloaded the chipset, because at first, ethernet wasn't working. The ethernet is no longer in a yellow question mark, so that problem is taken care of.

When I click on IE, I get a message about an internet extension error, and the "Navigation Cancelled" page shows.

Windows won't detect my modem, so I think that's the problem. The Windows 98 CD wont read anything. When I need to set up a network because it is not set up correctly, a box appears and tells me to put the windows 98 disk in. When I put the disk in, it says it needs all these different dll files. They aren't on my disk.

Motherboard name - Intel Atlanta AL440LX
Alias - Klamath, A89522
Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter [A/B/C]

Any help is HIGHLY appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Yes, unfortunately windows 98 does not have anything like the number of device drivers that Windows XP has, so you'll have to get them from the maker's website. In XP, the Realtek ethernet card is automatically detected and doesn't need an external driver, and, except for new motherboards, XP uses it's own drivers for them too. Still, at least you're already halfway there because you know the make and model of the hardware which needs drivers. Go to the two websites concerned and click yourself into the 'help and support' sections where you should find Windows 98 drivers available for download.

Under21

Under21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the reply. So I should go to intel.com and then what do I look for? I already installed the ethernet part. Now I'm not sure what other kind of stuff I should look for.

Is there any package out there that I can download and burn to cd so I everything could be fixed at once?

Edited by Under21, 06 October 2005 - 04:19 PM.

Under21

Under21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok I fixed the other problem, now I'm getting this message: "a connection with the server could not be established"

How do I fix this? I hope I'm close to getting on to the internet..

Under21

Under21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
More Info..

I installed AOL Instant Messager, and that didn't connect either. So it must not be internet explorer its self (which I didn't think it was).

The only thing I can thing of is either the wrong modem is installed (I picked a random one because I don't know how to find out which one I have). I'm connect to this computer, so the broken computer is connected to a cable.

The other idea is that the Network isn't set up correctly. When I put the TCP/IP in, it installed clients of microsoft. It didn't read the win98 disk though, so it never fully installed.

I've been looking all over google but can't find a solution. Ideas? Thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Under21...

I picked a random one because I don't know how to find out which one I have

Please download System Spec...run it, and post (or attach) a log to this thread. This will give us your system specifications.

This download will fit on a floppy disk. Transfer the program to the bad machine with the floppy...save a log to notepad, copy it to a floppy and post it to this thread.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 07 October 2005 - 05:34 PM.