Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WEP setup error

• Please log in to reply

Baggyboy

Baggyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
:) I hope someone can help me out here as I made quite a grave error!

While setting up a brand new wireless home network for someone I tried to enable WEP after successfully connecting to the router and internet, etc. On the Belkin router there was an option to generate a 128bit key based upon an entered pass phrase. I tried to do this but accidentally accepted the changes without first writing down the key :tazz:

So to cut a long story short, I now cannot access the router to disable the WEP. Any suggestions as to my next step?

I have tried the reset button on the underneath of the router but without success.

My only other idea was to connect to the router using a regular LAN card and disabling the WEP that way. Is this likely to work? Was unable to test this as the PC didn't have a LAN card installed. I just want to know if this plan is viable before I make a fool of myself... again!

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
hey Baggy,

Before I attempt to answer whether your plan will work, (sure sounds like it will, but don't quote me on it yet :tazz:)

What make/model router is it?

Edited by brianmil0923, 06 October 2005 - 03:07 PM.

Baggyboy

Baggyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
It's a Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router

I've linked to the product page on the Belkin website, not actually checked there for answers yet though. Too busy g2g'ing right now! If the answer is there I will find it later but I thought of you guys first! Product website FAQ's are usually woefully inadequate and I don't relish the prospect of registering on their forum and awaiting a reply there (if they even have a forum).

So ta much for your help so far and TIA for any more assistance you can provide.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hi there,

Without knowing the model, most Belkin routers will reset to factory default settings if you press and hold the reset button on the router for 10 seconds. Then you can just reconfigure the WEP key and write down the settings this time. :tazz:

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
LOL you snuck in there while I was typing and gave the model. :tazz:

Try the interface to retrieve the key if the restore button doesn't work. Open IE and type 192.168.2.1...should bring up admin interface. I didn't get a chance to check out the user manual but usually it's not to hard to fix. :)

Baggyboy

Baggyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
thanks KatKat. After a brief online chat with a Belkin Tech Support dude I was amazed to discover that the reset button needs a full 40 seconds of depressing (lol) before resorting factory default settings!

If that doesn't work he also informed me that WEP should only be configured from a PC that is hardwired to the router :) my bad. So i'll bring along a spare ethernet card should the need arise!

Thanks for the help guys, that's just about all I need for now I think. If things go pear shaped i'll be back after tuesday!

If you feel that this approach will get me nowhere and that you have the perfect solution then by all means let me know but other than that, I feel confident this is gonna work.

I got quite daunted when it threw me the request for a 128bit hex code :) Tried to cop out with the passphrase option, realised there was no "generate key" button so tried the old press [enter] gag and stared agog at the error page which appeared immediately afterwards :tazz:

Just felt a little background was in order there :)

Baggyboy

Baggyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
OK so i got this sorted.

It turns out that the reset button wasn't playing well with others and refused to bring back factory defaults. However I managed to install a spare Ethernet card and got to see the WEP key that way.

Once The WEP key was entered into the Wireless config on the system it ran like a dream!

Thanks for all your help guys, my initial assumption proved to be the best course of action but it was good to get some reassurance from the boffins here! :tazz:

Cheers!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just curious, but how long were you keeping the reset button depressed when trying to restore factory defaults? Just asking because you have to keep it pressed in for at least 30 seconds to a minute for it to get reset.

Fenor