Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sites are not working

• Please log in to reply

criclover

criclover

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am not able to access some regular sites on IE and Firefox
browsers. I am connecting through a router.
I am able to connect the sites after connected through VPN connection.
Can any one helpon this. :tazz:
I tried with two laptops and desktop at my home and was not
successful. Your help is appeciated.

Advertisements

timberlandko

timberlandko

• Pip
  • 4 posts
While you may be affected by the problem, its not a problem about which there is much you can do:

ISP spat blacks out Net connections
Level 3 and Cogent are fighting over financial issues

News Story by Stacy Cowley

OCTOBER 06, 2005 (IDG NEWS SERVICE) - A financial dispute between two major Internet backbones has led to dropped traffic between their networks in a high-stakes game of chicken that's angering customers affected by the network disruptions.
Early yesterday, Level 3 Communications Inc. terminated its "peering" agreement with Cogent Communications Inc. Level 3 said it decided to take that step after months of fruitless negotiations. In a peering agreement, which is a common type of service agreement among ISPs, the companies directly connect their networks and exchange traffic at no charge. In the chart of traffic speeds between Tier One backbones found in Internet traffic monitor Keynote Systems Inc.'s "Internet Health Report," the link between Level 3 and Cogent has been colored bright red for the past day, showing no packets exchanged between the two ISPs ...

Lotsa grumbling is going on, workarounds are being cobbled together, and lawyers are assembling all over the place.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you reboot the router, do the sites that don't work now start working again after the reboot?

ButterflyC

ButterflyC

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Let's just say I have the same problem as the above person with sites not loading. it manifests itself in particular with photobucket, Deviant Art, and Free Webs.

I have tried to log in both sites with two different computers, one that uses a roughter with Road Runner service, and the other a computer connected via dial-up.

The sites fail to load on both computers. I believe it has to do with the cognet and level3.

Check the internet health report, click on the companies and see if you're in the area that one of them is. I happen to be in one of the secters that cognet is. I suspect that those areas listed under those two companies are what are affected most by this dispute.

http://scoreboard.ke...x?Origin=Level3

Edited by ButterflyC, 06 October 2005 - 05:33 PM.