Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost My Driver

• Please log in to reply

dpham

dpham

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have a Gateway laptop 600y with combo DVD/CD burner with the model number is Hitachi: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N.
Couple of days ago I could not open/use my CD rom any more and when I check for the driver, it gone. I have been search on Hitachi, Gateway, and other web site but I still can not find the driver. Would any one please help me on this

Thanks a lot :tazz:

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Try Driver Guide:
http://list.drivergu...y459/index.html

dpham

dpham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Try Driver Guide:
http://list.drivergu...y459/index.html

View Post

thanks I could not find it in there either

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I have to add that it's possible you might have a bad drive. Usually they will show up in "my computer" even without the driver. I'm sure someone else might tell you otherwise...since computers seem to act differently depending on user and enviroment. :tazz:

Does it do anything when you pop a disc in it? Or does it not even want to open? You could try and remove it from the device manager, then restart the machine and look and see if it detects any new hardware.

I'd have to say you should be able to get a driver from Gateway. You might try and call or email them for help.

dpham

dpham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

I have to add that it's possible you might have a bad drive. Usually they will show up in "my computer" even without the driver. I'm sure someone else might tell you otherwise...since computers seem to act differently depending on user and enviroment.  :tazz:

Does it do anything when you pop a disc in it? Or does it not even want to open? You could try and remove it from the device manager, then restart the machine and look and see if it detects any new hardware.

I'd have to say you should be able to get a driver from Gateway. You might try and call or email them for help.

View Post

Thanks for your help
1. I don't have a support any more from Gateway, the laptop is more than 2 years old. Also the driver for cd rom is not on Gateway driver dish
2. I did try to remove from device manager... but it did not solve the problem.
3. I did copy the driver from other similar laptop which have the same cd rom drive as I am but it still did not recognize it.
4. When I pop the dish in there. I can hear it sping, but the laptop still not seeing
5. Now, if I reboot the laptop from disc, and (test) try to reinstall the windown again. the laptop seeing it and allow me to go throught the installation step.

I have a feeling of something missing in my windows stuff... which I have a Windows XP Pro. Should I reinstall the windows?

Thanks a lot