Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

URGENT HELP NEEDED

• Please log in to reply

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
i was trying to help my old uncle with his pc and done a system restore on his dimension 5100. turns out tho that it has wiped all of his files including spreadsheets hes had for 5 years, inclusing bank details and everything u could think of. is there ANY way to get these files back?? i tried restoring to earlier time but the earliest was just after i restored! i NEED to get these back, he and i am gutted

Advertisements

Swift

Swift

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Unless you saved those files on the D drive, no way to get them back..However, there might be some programs that CAN get it back. I really do doubt it though.

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
they were saved on his harddrive. PLEASE someone tell me its possible to get these. he's been working on them for 5 or so years and im feeling really bad bout it. i thought data wasnt ever really erased on harddrives?

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
ok....does your unc know the names of the files?

where they spreadsheets for MS software...works...etc?

My guess would be that the files are still there you just have to locate them..

Try telling the spreadsheet software to search the drive for em.
Do a search through windows' search engine(altho crappy)...

There are some recovery programs out there but I dont know if they are free or even efficient.

Don't give up hope though....not till all avenues have been traveled.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
windows system restore should not delete any documents. It only deletes software and programs.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
but he may NOT have used system restore; likely used a "restore disk/CD" which pretty much reformats and reimages the drive from some restore image when they bought the computer. Yeah, it wipes out pretty much everything, but the good news is that there is "professional" tools/software that can recover just about anything, but it does come at a price........... ain't cheap

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The less you do on uncle's hard drive the better chance of recovery. Even booting the system may overwrite files. You may have to take it to a shop (they have the $600 software) to get the files if you have reinstalled Windows instead of repaired it.

Johanna

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok guys thanks so much for ur help!! ok, does anyone know the name of any of this software? is there a way to go into dos and pull back the information? i think he does know the name of the files, they are all excel pretty much. we tried searching windows and everything and they are not there. i just know that police can find pics of [bleep] stuff when ppl think theyve erased it so there MUST be a way of getting these files back. can anyone recommend what i should do, no matter what the p[rice?

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
http://www.officerecovery.com/excel/

May be worth checking out......

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
unfortunately thats just for corrupted files. i NEED something to bring back deleted files from the harddrive. please someone help this is SO important.

stix4jah

stix4jah

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Call a local computer shop, lots of places have the programs, or can get them and get your files back for you. I'm told you can actually recover hard drive info to the tenth write over, good luck!