Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

worm_mytob.ko

• Please log in to reply

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Clam.win antivirus keeps finding this worm and quar. it so I can delete the file,but it comes right back on restart.When I try to start safe mode W/admin. it saysI do not have proper credentials and it safes into owners.I tried trend micros advice,but I cant get into the anmin. acct.to clean out the files.I can clean the reg.keys,and I can do the full process in any other acct,(Wich is Adminor owner)but every time I get on the net it reappears.Avast,x-cleaner,ad-aware,micro anti spyware beta,reg cleaner Don't find this worm ever!I've uninstalled and reinstalled clam win thinking it was messing w/me but it reappears.When I run hi-jack this it routes me to hi-jack homebase but the puter gives me the blue screen and reboots.It's also causing me to lose my conn.(dial-up) wich has happened 2x while writing this missive.IM THE ADMIN AND OWNER OF THIS THING!!I've even stopped all unnecc. processess on start up but the minute I get onto the web,G-bye.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi HarryMay...

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the START HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

HarryMay

HarryMay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
same problem,diff.question.As sole user of xp home I am locked out of admin.acct.in safe mode.I need to gain access to edit reg. keys affected.Short of starting over again is there a way to gain access to admin.acct.When that acct. is clicked on it immed. redirects to owner.The admin. acct. will let me permenently edit the reg. keys back to the proper values.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what keys need to be edited?

The admin account is simply an account with advanced privilidges, and may not have anymore privilidges then your user account.

And why are you "locked out"?

HarryMay

HarryMay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
HKEY_local_MACHINE>SYSTEM>controlset001>Services>Sharedaccess Start=dword7x4needs to be 7x3.When I click the stupid butterfly I get the following message:Windows cannot load the users profile but has logged you on with the default profile for current system.Access is denied 20-sec.I change that registry key in owners safe mode but after using the net it changes back to 7x4 and clamwin finds mytob worm again.It's not A real inconvenience but I'm beginning to learn about the capabilities of computers and would like to deal w/this just to understand a bit ,more.Thanx for the help and a reinstall would work fine but I'd be missing out on an opp. to learn more,it's kinda like a creaky old door that resists being oiled,ya know?