Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue screen of death! sorry!

• Please log in to reply

Layth

Layth

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi guys

Sorry to have a blue screen of death problem but its really starting to crap things up a little!

I'll be working on the computer and suddenly it'll stop witha blue screen... loads of info... i can't read the top and i have to restart!

Its gettign really anoying

i checked the blue screen of death lists, sometimes i get the one bout thread stuck in device driver, but i've updated my graphics card driver and disabled hardware accel but it still happens...... i've tried system restore but the last time i installed a driver was over 2 weeks ago and i've had the problem for bout 4 days now.

I've virus scanned and malware scanned but found nothing. I can't figure it out.

Please help! you guys have been awesome before, lets do it again! :tazz:

Layth

Running Win xp home, Dell 5100 3ghz 1gb ram, ATI Radeon x300 se

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
What software and hardware did you recently install?
Also, would you please list the specific BSOD STOP errors?
And, you may want to try the memory tester in my signature to test your memory. It helps to rule that out first.

Sorry about all the instructions, BSOD problems can be hard to figure out.

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Right, that took me AGES cos it kept crashing on me but here goes....

I haven't installed any new software, the most recent would have been my printer drivers about 2 weeks ago.

The whole system is knew and i recieved it the end of august.

The stop codes i keep getting are one of three:

1) Thread stuck in device driver

2) Driver IRQL not less or equal

3) The screen isn't big enough to see the top of the BSoD but the bottom has crazy stop numbers like...Stop: 0x0000008E (0X00000005, 0XF12D9C54, 0X00000000) and when i reboot and the little error reporting tool comes up, it directs me to a microsoft page that says it was caused by a driver, but that it doesn't specify one.

perhaps i should just do the fixing XP thing to get rid of ALL my drivers and start again!?

I ran the memory test thing a couple of times but nothings wrong with that.

Thanks for ur help i really appreciate it, i'm trying to write my Special Study Component project up to hand in in a couple of days and this is really hindering that!

Thanks agian

Layth

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
It definately sounds like a driver problem. Try updating as many as you can, starting with your graphics card driver.
Does it list any driver on the blue screen? It would say something like *****.sys, replacing the *'s with some letters.

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
sometimes it says something about usbport.sys

bout it

oh also, in the event view thing for the system, there has been an error with the true vector internet monitor thing that i know comes with Zonealarm.... The TrueVector Internet Monitor service terminated with service-specific error 0 (0x0). These coincide with every crash.. so maybe somet there? i've shut down zonealarm and haven't had any trouble yet... but i suspect the problem is not over!

Also, the irql one has a corresponding error with it that reads... The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

Also at the same time.... The IP address lease 192.168.0.4 for the Network Card with network address 00E098CA2820 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Thanks thanks thanks double thanks

Layth

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
What USB devices do you have? Try updating their drivers.

Also, do you have an ATI, Nvidia, or other graphics card? I heard this could be caused by ATI drivers.

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have an ATI radeon x300 se. but i have the updated driver now.

I'll try reinstalling the drivers for the other usb stuff too but i've found more errors in the events viewer to suggest that the zonealarm truevector internet monitor it messing up.

Know anylink between them?!

Layth

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
ZA is incompatible with some hardware and software, causing BSODs, so it is possibly the cause on your computer. Try uninstalling it and installing a different one such as Sygate Personal Firewall.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
good answer...since zone alarm acts at a very low level it will often conflict with networking--uninstall it.

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
well, i shut down zonealarm but it still crashed 30 mins or so later.

do i have to fully uninstall?

also, there was an error message in the events view (system) that coincided with the crash...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 07/10/2005
Time: 16:45:59
User: N/A
Computer: LAYTH
Description:
The TrueVector Internet Monitor service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

ALSO... dunno if u can help, but my friend and I have just signed up for the geeks to go webhost thing but we've not got any info on how long it takes to set up or anything!? we've paid but nothings happened!

we registered www.thelazylounge.net but nothing's happened with that yet either!

:s

Layth

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just because you shut down the active monitoring does not mean the service are all shut down--once again, that service seems to be an issue.

I would completely uninstall it and see if your results change.

As for the other issue, I will flag this and have the admin get back to you....

Depending on how long ago you signed up, the process is not instantaneous.

Even after you get your account info, www.thelazylounge.net could take a day or two to propigate to all the needed DNS services before you can see it--most hosting sites say 24-48 hours to be on the safe side, but I have run into cases where it took as many as 5 days for the domain name to be fully propigated. I have also run into propigations that took 10 minutes for my access so don't worry too much on that score. Much depends on your ISP and how their domain name server updates -- AOL, for example, takes longer, it seems.

did you try contacting the hosting people at

http://www.gtghosting.com/contact.html

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
We use a fully automated system at gtghosting, you should have received information about how to setup and login to your account within minutes. Domain names however are verified manually to prevent fraud, and use by spammers. I'll check it out. :tazz:

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
right! All's well now, sorry bout the late reply, i had to be sure that it wasn't gonna crash anymore and now i'm certain it won't.

I've had to uninstall zonealarm :tazz: but i've installed sygate and its working well :)

As for the website, support contacted me and all seems to be well now, just waiting for www.thelazylounge.net to get fully activated!

does anyone know if i can just use that address in Frontpage to open up the site and edit? i've been trying but it just says ".... is not accessible...blah blah blah". is that cos it's not been 48 hours yet?!

Thanks for the help anyway guys! Always pull through!