Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP memory write/read failure

• Please log in to reply

eafogle

eafogle

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi-

You did a fantastic job helping me to get rid of an AIM virus on my desktop, and now I am having laptop troubles!!! This is a Dell Inspiron from about 2000. I use it mainly to surf the web and to word process. When I turned it on a few days ago, a black screen appeared with the print "The amount of system memory has changed. Hit F1 to continue or F2 to run system utility." When I hit F1 to continue, I get to the desktop, but then, a black screen appears with the message "Memory write/read failure 04000000, read 00EF00EE, expecting 00EF00EF...

What should I do?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Sounds like some of your memory may have gone bad. Try the memory tester in my signature to test it.