Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing hard drive w/o reformat?

• Please log in to reply

Droog13

Droog13

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to install my slave drive without wiping it clean?

My primary master hard drive got toasted. I bought a new primary and have installed windows xp on it and got it running, but I cant figure out a way for my computer to recognize my old slave drive without it deleting all the old partitions and info.

The one thing I havent tried yet is;
The slave drive is a western digital, and I have the western digital data lifegaurd tools cd. Can I use this to recognize the slave drive and if so how?

Slave drive: WDC WD2500PB-98FBA0 5.1.2535.0

This is my new hard drive:
Maxtor 160gb IDE 133 8mb cache 6L160P0
or- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822144181

My old problem is here, must information I have is on that thread
http://www.geekstogo...isk-t66251.html

Thanks for the help,
Droog

Advertisements

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Could anyone help me with this?

Current jumper settings I have tried:
Jumpers ive tried (primary, slave)
-Master, Slave
-CS, Slave
-Master, CS

Any one have any other ideas???

Thanks,
Droog

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you're using the 80 wire cable with the blue connector for the mainboard, the grey for the slave, and the black for the master, both drives should be set to cable select. If it's the old forty wire cable, then use master/slave and the position of the drives doesn't matter. You should not have trouble recognizing the second drive if you're using XP. You should get two prompts from New Hardware before the drive will show up in My Computer.

Edited by Tyger, 10 October 2005 - 06:10 PM.

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Using 40 pin ide cable, but master/slave position didnt work.

Edited by Droog13, 10 October 2005 - 06:46 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

If you're using the 80 wire cable with the blue connector for the mainboard, the grey for the slave, and the black for the master, both drives should be set to cable select. If it's the old forty wire cable, then use master/slave and the position of the drives doesn't matter. You should not have trouble recognizing the second drive if you're using XP. You should get two prompts from New Hardware before the drive will show up in My Computer.

View Post

Just an fyi, but NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use cable select on a machine. It causes more problems than I can count. Only use the Primary/Slave settings.

Doug1:

Have you tried setting the new hard drive up as a Master on the secondary IDE channel? Which would be the one your CD-ROM is connected to. For the time being, disconnect the CD-ROM (or CD-ROMs if you have more then one connected to that IDE channel) and just connect the new hard drive as primary on that IDE channel.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Using 40 pin ide cable, but master/slave position didnt work.

View Post

You should always use 80pin cables for hard drives. They run like crap with 40 pin cables because they are meant to go alot faster then 40 pin cables can handle.

Fenor

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Welly im pretty sure its 40 pin. It his blue/gray/black like the 80 pin was described. Any way I can easily tell the difference?

With my old HDD I ran it as cs, slave.

Ill try connecting my master HDD ide to the secondary ide channel and will post the results.

Thanks for the help Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Welly im pretty sure its 40 pin.  It his blue/gray/black like the 80 pin was described.  Any way I can easily tell the difference?

With my old HDD I ran it as cs, slave.

Ill try connecting my master HDD ide to the secondary ide channel and will post the results.

Thanks for the help Fenor

View Post

Obviously don't connect the hard drive with Windows actually on it to the secondary channel. I meant hook up the hard drive that you were going to set up as a slave on the pirmary hard drive to the secondary one, as a MASTER.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 10 October 2005 - 07:12 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
See the attached picture for pictures of 40/80 pin cables.

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• ide8040pin.jpg

Edited by Fenor, 10 October 2005 - 07:14 PM.

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Its 80 pin

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does it work set up as Master on the secondary IDE channel?

Fenor

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Im currently working on homework, I wont be able to check until later tonight (a few hours) or tomorrow afternoon. :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Im currently working on homework, I wont be able to check until later tonight (a few hours) or tomorrow afternoon. :tazz:

View Post

No problem, gotta have your priorities straight. :) Just post back whenever you have the chance to check it out.

Fenor

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Just an fyi, but NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use cable select on a machine.  It causes more problems than I can count.  Only use the Primary/Slave settings.

Fenor

View Post

I'm using the cable select mode on the machine I'm on now and have used it on all the machines that support it, without any problems. I have run across older machines and hard drives that don't support it, but they're getteing scarcer.

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok, tried what you suggested and it did not detect the 250gb in bios or auto-detect. (Normally it would detect it as hooked up on the slave on auto-detect). Though I still see "Local Disk (G:)" in My Computer.

Both jumpers were also on master.