Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing hard drive w/o reformat?

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Check out this link and see if maybe you had the jumper setting wrong. Happens to me all the time, those pesky little jumpers! :tazz:

Fenor

Advertisements

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Nope, they are correct. Each setting is actually written under the HDD next to the where the jumpers go (hard to explain but it says it write on the HDD which is jumper setting is which).

Thanks for the help :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you ever had the 250GB hard drive connected to AND recognized on this computer?

Fenor

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes, before my original primary master crashed, I used this drive as my primary slave.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And setting it up the exact same way you had it set up before doesn't work? Can you get it to be recognized when its the only drive connected to the PC?

Fenor

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well theres no OS installed on the slave. But if I boot just the slave (as master) im pretty sure it is recognized. As I said it is recognized when hooked up as primary slave. By recognized I assume you mean by bios. It still cant be read and just asks for reformat.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay I'm a little confused here. You just said it is recognized when you have it set up as primary slave, but isn't that what you have been trying to do all alogn? Forgive me if I'm off here, long day at work. :tazz:

Fenor

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
If I hook it up as primary slave, BIOS sees it and recognizes it. However once windows starts up then it doesnt see the drive as formarted, only saying local disk (g:) When hooked up as the secondary master bios didnt recognize it, but again it said local disk (g:) in my computer.

Billre1967

Billre1967

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
What caused your original master to fail? Might it have also damaged your slave drive? Just a thought.

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I dont know exactly what caused my master to fail. It was concluded that is had a corrupt boot sector. I think it was just from getting run to much (hot) but I am not positive on that. I dont know how the first crash could cause the 2nd one to crash. I mailed western digital support but they havent helped yet.

Edited by Droog13, 12 October 2005 - 09:38 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well if the first hard drive died from heat and the other hard drive was very near it, then it is possible that the heat from the one hard drive could cause the other hard drive to be damaged. Not likely but possible.

Fenor

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
They were in close proximity, but a few inches (and a floppy drive) apart. I am not even sure that heat was the cause, its just my guess.