Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Free Firewall? -whoops, wrong forum....

• Please log in to reply

dans1

dans1

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi, currently I'm using AVG antivirus since my norton subscription has been expired for quite a while. I have not uninstalled Norton since it is bundled w/ internet security which still seems to work pretty well. I also enable my windows firewall. Recenlty, my notron AV has been giving me pop-ups every 15 seconds or so warning me that "Your computer is at risk in the following ares:" -Virus protection is turned off To prevent duplicate security status alerts, ise my existing Norton product alerts and turn off redundant Windows Security Center alerts. ------(It gives me box to check: no matter if I check it or not, it keeps popping up)-------- My question is: should I uninstall my norton AV/internet protection and settle with my AVG and windows firewall? Is the windows firewall anygood? Should I download a free firewall? I've heard about the free ZoneAlarm firewall... how does it compare to the norton one I have or teh windows firewall? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks

Edited by dans1, 06 October 2005 - 07:34 PM.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I would say either ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall. Either one of those is much better than the Windows Firewall, which only monitors incoming traffic.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dans1...

Norton is very resource heavy when compared to what it actually does. I'd remove it entirely. BUT...be careful if you do so. Norton has a very messy uninstall and can leave you with all kinds of little problems. Check on the Symantec website for instructions on how to remove it properly or post back here and we can help you.

I've been running into some issues with the Zone Alarm firewall lately so I'd recommend the Sygate. (Actually, contrary to popular belief, the Windows firewall is quite adequate for most users.)

AVG is a good AV and so is AVAST...just a matter of personal preference there.

wannabe1

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey, thanks for the info, I'm uninstalling Norton stuff now and downloading the sygate firewall.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I haven't heard of any user issues w/the ZA free firewall, although there are some issues w/ZA Pro................ I like the Sygate firewall as well........... plus it's free too......

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
So I installed sygate firewall and things seem to be working fine except that I cannot do certian things such as post on forums or "check" my mail on yahoo.com without temporarily enabling "allow all." It seems like it is blocking my computer from sending information or something. Anybody have any ideas?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I personally use ZoneAlarm, so I'm not sure, but look around in the settings. Did you put in information that it won't let be sent out?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dans1...

Open the Sygate Firewall (double click the system tray icon)

Click Tools then Advanced Rules then Add and configure as follows:

Under the General tab
"Rule Description"...Allow ICMP type 3,4
"Action"...Allow this traffic
"Advanced Settings"...All network interface cards
"Screensaver Mode"...Both on and off

Under the Hosts tab
"Remote Host"...All addresses

Under the Ports and Protocols tab
"Protocol"...ICMP then check the boxes next to Destination Unreachable - 3 and Source Quench - 4
In the "Traffic Direction" box, choose Both

Under the Scheduling tab
Enable Scheduling should be Unchecked

Let me know if this doesn't fix your problem...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 08 October 2005 - 03:02 PM.

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
checking if this message goes through........Yes, It works, :tazz: thanks for your help.

Edited by dans1, 08 October 2005 - 03:18 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're Welcome, dans1...Glad to help! :tazz:

wannabe1

shocka144

shocka144

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i've got norton, as my pc is new and a decent speed i dont see any probs, but it was only a 60day trial and that has now expired but everything seems to be working i.e.
outbreak alert: on
personal FW: on
intrusion detection: on
etc

what im getting at is would u recommend me unistalling norton and installing sygate or ZA - if its not broke dont fix it :tazz:

thx in advance

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shocka144....

You really should start your own topic... :tazz:

When your Trial period expires, the sotware will still work, but you will be unable to update. You won't be able to protect yourself from new threats. Uninstall Norton using "Add or Remove Programs" in "Control Panel"...Start with the Main Application then Live Update, then Live Reg. If you run into problems, post back here and we'll assist you. Norton uninstalls can be rather messy affairs.

There are several good, free AV programs available for download. I usually recommend either Avast or AVG because I am familiar with them.

If you are running XP SP2, you already have a firewall so you won't need Sygate's.

wannabe1

bbrevolt

bbrevolt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OH NO!
Sorry everyone!
SYGATE = SYMANTEC = NORTON now!
http://www.symantec....5/n051010c.html
The above states symantec's intention to within 6 months put sygates technology into their own products. Sygate will be no more!
Anybody know of a good free firewall that will still be alive in the next year?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go! :tazz:
The only good one that will still be left then is ZoneAlarm free. Kerio's is going on Dec. 31, 2005.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Post no. 8 by wannabe 1 is a good demonstration why I prefer Zone Alarm so much over sygate. I tried Sygate for a long period of time with win98 and Xp and had all sorts of annoying problems which sent me time and again to look for solutions in their forum. Eventually I cleared it off and installed ZA. Since then I didn't have a single problem.