Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot move video files

• Please log in to reply

danielsan1969

danielsan1969

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello my browser wont let me move video files from one folder to the next or delete them I can however copy the files but cannot delete them. whenever I move try this a window pops up say the file is being used by another person or program. help pls. :tazz:

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Hi danielsan1969,
You can find out which program is using the file using a tool called WhoLockMe.
Most of the time it will be explorer, because Windows tries to get the advanced properties (like length, resolution, etc.) while your browsing for a file itself. There are two solutions:
  • Wait for Windows to finish getting the advanced properties (the time depends on the no. of AVI files in a folder and their size) and then delete\move the file.
  • Disable windows from getting advanced properties of AVI files.
I personally suggest waiting for Windows to finsih getting properties, but its your choice, we can tell you how to disable it also.

Edited by darth_ash, 07 October 2005 - 03:30 PM.

danielsan1969

danielsan1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
well no matter what i do or how long i keep the folder open i cannot move or delete the file so what do you suggest i do?

WightOwl

WightOwl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A free Windows compatible program called 'delinvfile' (short for delete invalid file) can delete data files returning the 'in use' error. Just type delinvfile into Google etc to find links to download sites.

The 'in use' problem often relates to data files downloaded via file sharing software.

Unfortunately I don't yet know a way of wresting control of an 'in use' data file from the other elusive user or program. This would allow an otherwise valid data file to be presented properly. Perhaps someone can help with this.

Before deletion of 'non-data' files ensure the file is not in use because it is critical to any important process.

If you double click an 'in use' data file your system may slow down radically. If you have Windows XP hold down [Ctrl] and [Alt] and press [Delete] once to launch the Windows Task Manager. Click the Performance tab and check your CPU Usage History reads 100% all the time. Click the Processes tab and look for 'explorer'. If this has a CPU reading over 90% consider clicking 'explorer' then clicking the [End Process] button. You must then re-launch explorer by clicking the File menu, choosing New Task (Run...), typing explorer in the 'Open' field and clicking OK to re-gain control of the system.