Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Clean Up" Download

• Please log in to reply

Hatemyputer

Hatemyputer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[COLOR=red]OK, I wound up with this W32/Alemod.e.dll virus :) and came upon your website for help in removing it. :) As suggested on your site, before anything, i cleaned things up a little and downloaded that "Clean Up" software. Well it removed all the temporary files and apparently EVERYTHING else too!!! :tazz: At the end of the program, it said to restart the computer, and when it re-started, my desktop was gone! Windows would not start normally or in safe mode. So I used the HP application recovery which said it would reinstall windows and other software without erasing data on the hard disk. After installing application recovery, all files were gone. I am just in tears over this....what went wrong??? :)

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello and welcome to GeeksToGo. I am so sorry you had so much trouble. To be honest, I have talked with a couple of Experts, and none of us have seen this happen before. We're not quite sure what went wrong on your system. I would like to make a suggestion for you to try. It MAY be possible that your files are still on your pc, unless you did a complete reformat instead of a recovery.

Download Restoration
If possible, download it to your floppy drive, or a USB Drive. Save it to a blank floppy.Double click to runit. It will extract to a folder of it's own on the floppy. Open the folder and double click the exe file.

Upon start, you can scan for all files that may be recovered. It's very self-explanatory, and will guide you through what to do.

If possible, can you tell me exactly what all you had done prior to running CleanUp? Also, do you remember what all options you checked within the CleanUp program before running it??

Hatemyputer

Hatemyputer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Kat and thanks for your reply. Aaalright.....I've been off work caring for my daughter after a tonsillectomy and finally got around to trying the restoration download you suggested without luck. :tazz: It did recover recent files deleted, but not the ones I need....Ah well. I guess ya live and learn...(and consistently back up!) As for what i did before running clean up...nothing. I had the virus and that was one of the first things I did. And unfortunately, I do not remember what options were checked in the clean up program. Thanks again and I appreciate your time! :)

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Do you have a Windows XP CD? It has taken out a file that is needed, if you have the CD we can replace it.

Alopeke

Alopeke

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
If the files are really gone, like the drive has been formatted, you can get a program like R-Studio or Stellar Phoenix. They offer trial versions so you can download them and scan the drive and see what is recoverable. It takes a long time to scan a drive though and it will pull up stuff from long before that you actually intended to delete.

I had used R-Studio on a server drive at my work after someone lost the partition information and formatted the drive trying to get it working again. Saved all the data *whew*.

Edited by Alopeke, 09 October 2005 - 11:37 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If some one has formated a drive Alopeke and need their infomation back ask long as they have not reinstalled an operating system over the top. I would get them to boot for their CD and enter the recovery console by pressing R and then type
UNFORMAT C:
their C: drive will be back to how it was before they formated.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 10 October 2005 - 12:01 AM.

Hatemyputer

Hatemyputer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Michael and Alopeke,

No, I do not have a windows CD, my computer came with Windows XP already installed. It sounds like there is hope to recover??? :tazz:
Kim

Edited by Hatemyputer, 10 October 2005 - 07:19 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Can you get a lend of a CD for an hour?

I need you to go
Start < Run and type sfc /scannow
It will replace all corrupt or missing files that belong to XP, it needs a CD to run. As long as the CD is the same service pack as you have installed it will work.

I would also like to ask because this kind of thing is being talked about in the one of the hidden staff forums here, if you have used any registry cleaners because that is what has come up as a cause of this problem.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 10 October 2005 - 10:51 PM.