Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

extendable memory driver not installed

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
my friend has been having lots of problems with her system. Because of mouse problems she has been using safe mode and its telling her extendable memory driver not installed? She is also getting distorted pictures including desktop. I know this isnt giving you a lot of info but its all I have. Any ideas greatfully accepted. Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi islandcat...

Pretty much what you'd expect in Safe Mode. The Operating System is working with a minimum number of Windows drivers and is meant for troubleshooting and repairing problems...it's not designed to take the place of Normal Mode.

What kinds of problems has she been having with her machine? Perhaps we should be working on those issues instead.

wannabe1

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Well she is pretty sure she had a virus to begin with. So we did what I was told on here to do when I had some problems and we went to system restore and everything works except the pictures are still distorted. We tried system fix and it said no errors. When she has started the computer it goes through a win 98 tutorial for some reason. She has been having problems for awhile. But the main ones now are having to use system restore every time and still the distorted pics. Sorry cant be more technical in my description.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
islandcat...

Is her machine actually running in Safe Mode, or does it just look like it is? In Safe Mode the display would have "Safe Mode" in all four corners. Is she able to access the internet with her machine?

wannabe1

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Yes it is in safe mode cause she cant access the net or anything else.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok.....

Would you download HiJackThis and SysSpec, install them on her machine, run them, save a log from each one to notepad, and post them to this thread for me?

They should fit on a floppy.

wannabe1

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Thank you for your help so far, she is doing as you said right now. She is able to read this as well. Another strange add on- her add/remove programs shows only 4 programs, not the usual 20 or whatever, but she still has all her icons for all the other programs she has, this just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

this just keeps getting weirder and weirder

It sure does... :tazz: Do you have the Win98 installation cd there with you?

wannabe1

tarahardt

tarahardt

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz:

Edited by tarahardt, 06 October 2005 - 11:24 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tarahardt...

The good news is...you did a great job removing the malware issues! :tazz:

The bad news is that your machine is running on generic Windows drivers. The scans didn't pick up on the make and model of you machine...it appears to be an HP, but other than that, it managed to elude the scans. Please post that information for me....

wannabe1

Advertisements

tarahardt

tarahardt

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well the weirdest thing....

While I was waiting fo a response, I did a clean up. Then it promted me to restart when i restarted it said there was a registry error. It told me to run in safe mode a do a scan reg, it restored and now everything appears to be fine...

Thanks for all your help!

Should I be concerned still?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tarahardt.... :tazz:

Nothing to be concerned about...shoot, heck, an howdy! That's great! Makes me look good when they fix themselves.... :)

If you have any more problems, you can post back to this thread....gotta love that scanreg!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 06 October 2005 - 11:04 PM.

tarahardt

tarahardt

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I do have one ?

What virus protector do you recommend??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tarahardt...

Avast is a good free AV program and Sygate is a good Firewall. Both are free and are easy to use.

wannabe1

tarahardt

tarahardt

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Wannabe1

I downloaded those programs.

I also did two other scans.One from house calls and the other from F Secure, the first came back with 0 infected files the second came back with 1 Trojan-Downloader.Win32.IstBar.gen. How do I get rid of it?