Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Protection

• Please log in to reply

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
HI

i dont know if this is the right place to post this query. recently my room-mate had his laptop stolen from the house... this got me thinking as to how we can protect/trace a laptop from being stolen apart from keeping it in a safe place. and if stolen how to render the laptop useless.

I have the windows password and all that to prevent access, but that is just a joke - as any one can format the hard disk and start over again. So i put the boot password in the BIOS - so now it asks me for my password before it can go to the boot sequence. So even if some1 takes my laptop, there is no way to re-format and isntall the OS as the boot sequence needs a password. Now here is my question - is this method totally fool-proof? Any ways of fooling or by-passing this system.

Are there any ways of tracking a laptop by S/N number or something of that sort. I know there are s/wares for sale on tiger direct that help tracking - theycost about 90$...

ANyway

hope to see some replies in here soon

Thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
System passwords that need to be entered as soon as the computer is turned on can be bypassed. Nothing is fool-proof. The only way you'll be able to track a laptop after it's stolen is if the person who stole your laptop is arrested and your laptop is taken into evidence. The cops can then know it belongs to you by the fact that you gave them the S/N off the laptop before they found the guy who actually had it.

Fenor

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
How can u by-pass the system password, you cannot as even if u go into bios to turn off the password u need to enter the old password to disarm the password feature. Unless they know that they are still in a bind. or are they?

i dunno.. but i am more careful than before and actually lock my doors when i leave these days.

Droog13

Droog13

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Maybe your best bet is something like this:
http://www.computers...ptop/cables.htm

If you have a password or not, the laptop will still be stolen. They can always just sell it to a pawn shop or something.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
take the battery out of the bios...it wont remember anything