Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another Photobucket question

• Please log in to reply

stillshilo

stillshilo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I too am having problems accessing photobucket. I tried to read the post below to solve the problem, but it didn't do me any good, as I didn't understand most of it.

I don't even know what you all would need to know to help me with the problem, so if anyone is willing, my listening ears are on.

edited to add:
Is there any way to know if I am affected by this Level 3 Cogent problem? I seem to be having similar problems, but don't know how or if I can fix it.

I am on a dial up connection (if that matters), but I don't live in any of the areas like Detroit, Washington,...listed above.

:)

Edited by stillshilo, 06 October 2005 - 10:13 PM.

Advertisements

ButterflyC

ButterflyC

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't know if this will help you any more than the last thing I tried to post, but on my forum hunting I found someone managed to copy an announcement blog from the photobucket site:

If you didn't know, yesterday two Tier 1 providers got into a feud and cut off traffic to eachothers network.

Unfortunately Photobucket was one of the thousands of sites effected. We have talked with both Cogent and Level 3, but it doesn't look like it will be fixed anytime soon. Rather than sit back and wait for it to all get sorted out, we have taken some drastic steps to work towards our own resolution.

- Overnighted some additional network equipment as of yesterday
- Moved our dns over to Ultradns (which is used by amazon, myspace, etc) . This gives us some flexibility on how we handle traffic from the two networks.
- Working frantically on bringing up another carrier so we can start pushing 'non-resolvable' traffic that direction.

We believe this will solve many or all of the issues regardless of what happens with Cogent and Level 3.

Thanks for understanding, Photobucket got the worst of a bad situation that is totally out of our control.

Alex

Or you can read it here:
http://www.proxymous...hotobucket.com/

Another way you can test to see if you are affected, try loading each companies home page. If one loads but not the other than maybe you can conclude that you are using the one that loads sucessfully. If both load fine then you are probably not effected.

For me Level3.net loads fine, but not the cogent one. Kinda mean of them isn't it?

And there's nothing you can do except sit and wait. But based on the blog, it looks like photobucket is starting to do something about it though, so both of us should be able to get on eventually.

Now I just hope Deviant Art is working on it too. I read they use Cogent. Being stuck with Level 3, I cannot see that site either.

Another thing if you use Road Runner, you are using Level3.net and would be affected.
http://www.dslreport...le,rr~mode=flat

I can now get to the sites using proxymouse but I'd advise not logging in because I've heard it isn't secure and could record your data.
http://www.proxymouse.com/

Edited by ButterflyC, 07 October 2005 - 01:41 AM.