Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trying to change internet providers

• Please log in to reply

lipizanluvr

lipizanluvr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I use earthlink which has become ponderous, I am a good but average 50something computer user. I have been trying to uninstall earthlink but it won't uninstall. I would like to install copper. I have 2 wks of service with earthlink , I have already cancelled with them , do I have to wait till then to uninstall or can I do it now, If so how I have tryed with the uninstall in control panel and with windows uninstall clean up. It removes some of it but the core (105kb) would not go, I had to reinstall the earthlink from disk to make it all work again.Earthlink thinks I have a systems problem but I have run all the Norton diagnostics and all seems fine, I just think it is their software , any help would be apprecated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi lipizanluvr...

I'm with you...it's probably Earthlink's software.

Download HiJackThis, install it, run it, and post a log here for me. Then follow the procedure below, when finished, reboot into Normal Mode, run HiJackThis again and post me a second log. You may have to reinstall earthlink to get back online, but save a HJT log in notepad before you reinstall. I want to see what's being left behind (if anything) when it's uninstalled.

Uninstall Earthlink in Safe Mode. Restart the machine and tap the F8 key during the boot sequence. When you get the options screen, choose Safe Mode and press Enter. Use Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to uninstall the application.

wannabe1

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You can have the software for both ISPs installed at the same time, and select the connection you want to use. It will not hurt to leave Earthlink's on, as long as you don't connect with it without an account.

Johanna

lipizanluvr

lipizanluvr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
HJT logs removed, Member has a log posted in the Malware forum properly

Don
:tazz:

Edited by don77, 27 October 2005 - 05:12 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Also, sometimes the uninstaller is on the installation disk, so you may need to use it to uninstall. Something else you may need to do is clean all the earthlink keys out of the registry after you're uninstalled it.

lipizanluvr

lipizanluvr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok i ran HijackThis and did not save the program and although it shows as a program in the install uninstal in control panel it does not show up as a program in all programs so after uninstalling earthlink in safe mode I could not re run hijackThis to have a second log, I was feeling quite accomplished till this happened. If the uninstall is on the install disk it hasn't shown so when I reinstalled earthlink to get back here$%&*. : So now I still have earthlink only n
ow i am unsure how to proceed. Should i try to download HijackThis again? If the uninstall is on the earthlink install disk is there a way to know?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi lipizanluvr...

You might want to go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here at the top of the page. That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. There are a couple things in the log that are a bit "iffy"...it wouldn't hurt to let the malware folks have a look at.

If there is an uninstaller on the cd, it may come up as a prompt when it begins to install and detects the files already on the machine. Or you may be able to browse the cd for it. However, everything I've found so far says to use the Add or Remove Programs function in Control Panel.

I also see you have Norton and McAfee both...that can cause issues, too. Of the two, I like Norton more (and I don't particularly care for Norton). In fact, the Norton GoBack may have something to do with your uninstalls going poorly. Both Earthlink and Norton are notorious for not uninstalling completely.

Something you might try is to disable the Norton GoBack and then try to uninstall Earthlink. If you have the Norton System Works cd, you might even uninstall the Norton altogether and uninstall Earthlink afterwards, but this could open up another can of worms...Norton's equally messy uninstall. :tazz:

I'm still looking for that "Sure Fire" solution......

wannabe1