Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating a new partition

• Please log in to reply

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I want to play around with some other operating systems (ie openBSD, Linux), and i want to make another partition to put them on. Is it possible to do that without reformatting my hard dirve and setting up the partitions there? If so, I would appreciate any help I could get. thanks

~ejay563

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ejay563....

Go to Control Panel and double click on Administrative Tools then double click Computer Management...in the left pane, expand (click the +) Storage and choose Disk Management. You can do a lot with this tool, including what you want to do. Refer to the help file or post back here with any questions.

Wouldn't hurt to back up your registry before you do anything and save it to removable media.

wannabe1

ejay563

ejay563

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
That would work if it weren't for one problem I think I'm running into. The current partition currently holds all the space on the hard drive; there is no unpartitioned space. any ideas? I was reading farther int he help file, and when using a command line, what is the offset?

Edited by ejay563, 06 October 2005 - 11:33 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I love playing with my Partitions. To do so I use Partition Magic 8 it is a very good program, and if you are going to change you partitions more than once worth getting. It can change the size of the partitions you have to you can fit another in.

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to use the Disk Management program in XP to resize partitions without affecting the data? Never tried it myself so just wondering if anyone else had.

ronenfe

ronenfe

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the Disk Management  program in XP to resize partitions without affecting the data? Never tried it myself so just wondering if anyone else had.

View Post

no,you have to delete the partiton before you change the size , therefor all the data in the partition will be deleted.
there are some programs like partition magic that can change partitions without losing data

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It dose not effect the data if the part you are removeing from the partition has no data on it. Other wise you will lose data in the part you removed from the partition. It is hard to be 100% sure. As in my last post I would use Partiton Magic, your data is worth anough to bye a program for in my opinion to be safe..

Edited by Michael Buckley, 07 October 2005 - 02:53 AM.

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks