Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Had safe mode- can't anymore

• Please log in to reply

Nightstryk

Nightstryk

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I was previously able to start up in safe mode but now I get a file missing error.
the following file is missing \winnt\system32\config\system. When trying to do a repair with windows 2000 disk it says it can't locate windows 2000 and I don't have an emergency repair disk. What now? :tazz:

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
This can be fixed but first can you wait till you log in the malware forum is clean :tazz: might be related.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 07 October 2005 - 12:40 AM.

Nightstryk

Nightstryk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:tazz: my original post:
Posted Yesterday, 10:41 PM
I was previously able to start up in safe mode but now I get a file missing error.
the following file is missing \winnt\system32\config\system. When trying to do a repair with windows 2000 disk it says it can't locate windows 2000 and I don't have an emergency repair disk. What now?
one answer i received:

Michael Buckley Posted Yesterday, 11:39 PM
This can be fixed but first can you wait till you log in the malware forum is clean might be related.

My new problem is I can't get by the black screen with the white bar loading windows. Without being able to boot at all how do I proceed? Sorry I'm desperate now.

Michael

:)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When you say you cannot get into safemode, or use repair function, can you use the recovery console?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
by using the windows 2000 cd

Nightstryk

Nightstryk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am able to get to the recovery console, it comes up with C:\winnt>

can someone help me from here?

Michael :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you can get into recovery console, type

chkdsk /r and allow it to run...it could take a looong time (couple hours). This may restore you to functionality depending on what is damaged and how damaged you are.

You also may--MAY--be able to get up and running by following the registry corruption procedure here:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

You will not be able to do part 2 of that process on a win 2000 pc, as there are no system restore points in win2k. You might be able to get up and running though.

Nightstryk

Nightstryk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Up and running thanks to Gerryf. All of you people are doing a great job here.
YOU ROCK! :tazz: