Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restarts without warning

• Please log in to reply

alias09

alias09

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello guys, I'm new here. I'll really appreciate it if someone could help me with my computer. About 3 weeks back, my computer started to restart without warning. After reading a few suggestions online, I unchecked the "automatically restart" box under the system properties (Advanced tab). And now, after awhile, the computer would have this blue screen and it seems like the only thing I can do is to restart the computer.

Information:

Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

This was shown on the blue screen: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I've scanned my computer and no viruses or anything were found.

Anyone knows what's wrong with the computer? :tazz: Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Here is a link to the information on the Microsoft knowledgebase about the problem: Error Message: STOP 0x000000D1 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

It seems that reading through it might be a driver issue that is causing the issue:

This issue can occur when the Driver Verifier feature is enabled and a driver has used an improper address. Note that the driver that is causing this issue may be listed in the error message.

You might be able to see what driver it is referrring to be looking at the event viewer: Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer.

When you are in Event Viewer you will see on the left side three options. If you choose the System option the right pane of the window will show you a list entries. Scroll through the entries looking for ones with a Red X next to them. See if there are ones that repeat itself and seem to tally up to the time when your machine is blue screening. If it has a driver name then post it here and we might be able to see what is causing the issue.

alias09

alias09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for replying! I've done what you told me to do. There seem to be 3 kinds of entries with the red crosses that keeps repeating. Under the 'Source' column, one of them is 'cdrom', another is 'system error' and the other is 'service control manager'.

Edited by alias09, 07 October 2005 - 05:43 AM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go alias09

We need and event number to find out what the problem is, can you post the number that goes with each. look under the event column next to each error and tell us what the number is.

alias09

alias09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oops, sorry. I'm really lousy with the computer. Well, they are 7023 (service control manager), 1003 (system error) and 7 (cdrom).

Edited by alias09, 07 October 2005 - 05:41 AM.

katja

katja

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I did all the things that you suggested to alias09 for his/her computer restarting without warning. Under Event Viewer System in Administrative Tools: my computer says System Control Manager #7000. Polaroid Digital Cam Video service failed to start. It is either disabled or there are no enabled devices associated with it. I do have a Polaroid Digital camera but I don't think I ever installed the video program for it. My computer has also been restarting more often than when thi serror shows up. Help