Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Popups w/no software

• Please log in to reply

fjdc

fjdc

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,
I seen someware a poste that helps to kill popups just working around the hosts file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\
I add the folwing lines and it seem to work but, I still got the, for example, paypopoup.
127.0.0.1       ad.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1       ads.clicksor.com
127.0.0.1       a.as-us.falkag.net 
127.0.0.1       paypopup.com 
any idea on the subject, does it realy works??
best regards

Advertisements

secretagentbill

secretagentbill

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello. Have you tried entering paypopup to the host file without the .com? Or, more likely, try adding the www. When I messed with it here on my computer, I couldn't get it to block the address until i typed out www.paypopup.com in the hostfile. On the other hand, the paypopup windows may load from a different address. I'd check that out. Also, do you have a firewall with keyword blocking? Those seem to work the best. Also, see that you install Google toolbar and WinXP SP2 pop up blockers. Those also do an excellent job.
Later.

fjdc

fjdc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks but:
1. I got SP2 but from the half of August some sites find a way to show popups.
ex: hxxp://www.zona-musical.com
2. paypopup.com cames as www211. or many other variants,
3 I dont have a FH installed at the momment nider google toolbar

the idea was to see if it was true the concept in using the file hosts.

Many tanks for the interest secretagentbill.