Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about XP Professional

• Please log in to reply

Whitters

Whitters

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am thinking about reformatting my computer due to the fact that it has been acting up lately, and nothing I try seems to fix it.

It originally came with Windows XP Home edition on it, and I then upgraded to Windows XP Professional via an upgrade disk. If I reformat, Windows will revert back to XP Home, and I was wondering if reinstalling XP Professional would have any conflicts when it came to registration, or if I would just not register it again, or what.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
You can install from the XP Professional Upgrade CD. I think you just have to put in a qualifying media (such as your XP Home CD).

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need the Product Keys for all Microsoft Software

You will need to activate it

Whitters

Whitters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Will the fact that I do not have an XP Home disc cause problems? My computer is a Viao and comes with Viao Recovery Wizard which completely deletes everything and reinstalls XP Home. Is that the same as having a disk?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I don't think that is qualifying media, but I'm not sure. I thought you had an XP Home CD, not a recovery disc. Do you have any other qualifying media? See this list.

Whitters

Whitters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It was upgraded from XP Home to Professional before, and when they did the upgrade (my uncle did it), he reformatted the computer beforehand. Pro has worked perfectly fine on it though.

Edit Viao Recovery Wizard also does not have a disk to it either. And entire copy of the Factory Default OS is stored somewhere on the system, and it uses that to reinstall.

Edited by Whitters, 07 October 2005 - 07:59 AM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Try it again the same way.

Whitters

Whitters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Alright, thanks!

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
You're welcome, although I don't know if I helped at all. I wonder if the XP Upgrade CD can see the installation partition...Does anybody know the answer to that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, it cannot....I suspect he has a retail version of xp which can upgrade or install clean.