Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NON RESPONSIVE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD?

• Please log in to reply

abone114

abone114

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
:) The other day while trying to burn a cd i noticed that neither one of my disc drives were being recognized in the device manager. so i used microsofts trouble shoot and followed exactly what they told me to do, which was go into the registry editor and delete the upper and lower filters for those drives. then it told me to reboot my computer. when it launched back into windows my mouse and key board were non responsive. and it cant be a usb problem because my keyboard is not usb. what could cause this?? and is there a solution other than reformatting?? :tazz: thanks in advance to anyone who knows whats going on....

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thos keys would have nothing to do with the mouse or keyboard,,,,is your keyboard responsive before getting into windows? IE--can you get into BIOS by tapping f1, f2 or DEL?

Can you load into safe mode, by tapping the f8 key while memory is counting up?

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
yes the mouse and key board work until windows loads up, i can enter bios but once i get into windows they do not work, same goes with safe mode... they are non responsive even in safe mode

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
given that, my guess is a corrupted registry

Here is a MS b article detailing how to address it--in your case, you ought to only need to replace the system hive and perhaps the default hive

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

This is never fun

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
that sounds like it would work, except another thing that piled up is that i lost my windows xp disk... im so mad

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can download a recovery console on CD and burn it to a CD to do this procedure

http://www.tweakxp.c...ticle36941.aspx

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
thanks a lot, ill give it a try

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
well it looks like that link isnt working anymore, when i click to download the file it brings me to a page that says that the page is unavailable... hmm, any other ideas?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey abone114!

Try THIS LINK instead.

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
oh wow, thanks a lot, i will give this a try, let me ask this though, when i burn this to cd will it be bootable? automatically run when i reboot the computer? because when i get into windows i wont be able to navigate.. thanks again

Advertisements

Swift

Swift

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Yea, I have sorta the same problem as you. Cant click once in
safe mode =(

When you put it in the computer, the CD, youll get a black screen
that says if you want to boot from cd, just press any key and itll
boot.

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
awesome, thanks a lot guys

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
well i burned the cd and put it in my pc but it wont boot from the disc or even prompt me too it just goes right into windows.. ugh is there a certain way im supposed to burn this?? i read somewhere i had to burn it as an image or something like that?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You need to go into your BIOS and change the boot order so it boots off the cd first before the hard drive.

Fenor

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok cool i got it, it just asked me to type my administrator password, after i did that it comes prompts C:/windows: im not sure what to type here...