Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Writer will not read certain discs

• Please log in to reply

moxxee

moxxee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My DVD writer will write and read from discs that I make, but will not read DVDs made by my uncle's DVD writer. His machine and even my friend's machine can read them just fine, but mine refuses to do anything. He has a dual-layer recorder, but I am using normal 4.7GB discs. I reset the machine to its original configuration, but nothing seems to work. I'm at a loss.

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
The first thing to try is updating the DVD burner's Firmware. The manufacturer's site should have it available for download. Make sure you select your model, read the instructions and close all open apps (and anti-virus software) before updating.

St Jimmy

St Jimmy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Depending on your model burner, you can many times even upgrade the firmware to make your single layer burner a dual layer burner. That's what I did. There is no difference in the hardware between a single layer and dual layer burner. However, not all single layer models can be upgraded.